Sleeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

98AccrdSdn

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some cast iron sleeves for an F23 from? I am tryin to see if I can get the sleeves cheaper than the shop rebuilding my engine. So far the price the qouted me is like $400 for a set of F23 sleeves. And I think they are even going to be using the sleeves for an F22 not sure though.

skabone

Reaction score
from my understanding, the F23 cylinder walls are pretty strong. what are you planing on doing? I dont' know if your fimilar with notoriousB's F23 motor build on honduh, but he's running full internals without sleeves. of course his project is not yet complete but based on his previous motor melt downs, its the piston ringlands that are the weakness, as well as the rods if you plan on boosting. if your going the NA route there is no need to sleeve the block. how much do you plan on boosting? I'm good friends with Brian(notoriousB), he's planing on running close to 20lbs of boost with forged pistons and rods and he's hoping to make at least 300whp. if your not going to go boost crazy then you should be ok with the stock block. I'd recommend shooting him a PM if you have any questions, he knows his stuff when it comes to the F23. you can also reach him on honda-tech, those are his stomping grounds. I got to drive his car before the 2nd motor blew, and with stock internals that car is a monster. I wish I could do that, I'm just afraid of reliability issues down the road. I don't make as much money as he does.

98AccrdSdn

Reaction score
They maybe strong but they are not cast iron. Which may explain why your friend keeps going through engines? Maybe not. But the piston manufacturer highly reccomends cast iron sleeves with the low compression pistons I am getting. Does anyone know if F22 sleeves will work on the F23? Or how about the H23 sleeves?

skabone

Reaction score
he's got high compression pistons on his rebuilt engine, and it wasnt' the cylinder walls that failed at all. I believe the F23 block actually is cast iron.

skabone

Reaction score
let me ask notoriousB, I'm pretty sure it is. I'll post back when I hear back from him.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The F23's sleeves are ductile iron. Still plenty strong enough to hold up to large amounts of boost. The only reason you'd need to sleeve is if you're overboring the cylinder walls. You can use F22/H23/F23/H22 sleeves, there's only a difference of 1-3mm between the bore sizes. Whatever size sleeve you use, use the corresponding size piston to fit in there. Simple as that.

98AccrdSdn

Reaction score
Ok Im using F23 low compression pistons. 86.5mm. And I want my block bored .40 over. Where can I find some F23 sleeves at?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DART, Benson, Eagle, AEBS (i think)....pretty much any manufacturer that makes engine components.

The F23 is 86mm, not 86.5mm and if you bore .040 your at 87mm almost and could use aftermarket H22 or H23 pistons.

F23 - 86mm = 3.385in
H22/H23 - 87mm= 3.425in
F22 - 85mm = 3.346in

3.425 - 3.385 = 0.04 or 1mm (essentially) I'm sure there's more math involved that what I know or can tell you but I'm just going by the #'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back