Difference betweewn D3 and D4....

justvtec

Reaction score
whats going on man welcome on ur ? go and look at my thread in engines mods under Transmission?????????????? maybe that ll help u out

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if you have it in d3, your trans will go only up and into 3rd gear, if you have it in d4, it will go all the way to 4th. if you have it in 2, itll stay only in second, and never be in 1, same for 1. basicly, you should drive around in d4, i honestly have no clue what the use for d3 is, i never use it.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
it's like the gears if u have a manual car.... D4 means it'll shift to the 4th gear max.... also means tht the gears are shorter..... D3 will pull on the gears a bit longer, and stops at 3rd gear... well, at least tht's how i understand it

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use D3 for normal city driving, D4 is overdrive so you should only use it when your doing like 50+.

justvtec

Reaction score
ya d4 sounds right for me cause the highway speedlimit is 70 over here in san antonio tx

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
Use D3 for normal city driving, D4 is overdrive so you should only use it when your doing like 50+.

This is the correct answer.
D4, is basically an overdrive gear. D3 has the closest transmission ratio which is good for city driving. But over 50MPH it's good to use D4. Remember, in overdrive the drive shaft turns faster than the engine crankshaft, permitting the vehicle to maintain a constant speed at lower RPM. At highway speeds the engine runs quieter and consumes less fuel.

Here are the gear ratios for the Accord 4 cyl.
Powertrain Specifications
Transmission 4-speed automatic w/OD
Specifications
Transmission gear ratio (1st) 2.53
Transmission gear ratio (2nd) 1.43
Transmission gear ratio (3rd) .93
Transmission gear ratio (4th) .62
Transmission gear ratio (reverse) 1.86

Back