Good Deal?

jcanni

Reaction score
i am currently looking at a 2000 audi s4. it is silver with black leather, nav, 6spd, 45k, extra wheels with snow tires and it is chipped. the car is going for 19 thousand. is this a fair price considering it has a chip in it? i was thinking i could negotiate it down to 18 because of the chip. or should i stay away from the car? ive read the turbos blow a lot after being chipped and that costs a lot of $ to replace.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
depends on the brand of chip and the level of tune (level 1, 2 or street, race, etc). the longevity of the turbos also depends on how hard the car was driven. is an inspection by an audi mechanic possible? maybe talk to one and see what he says about the chip. as a personal rule, i try to avoid neuspeed parts. some of their stuff is iffy, the chip especially. ive heard great things about it for vw but others say its not powerful enough (street stage) or too agressive (street/strip i think its called off the top of my head). have you done any research on audi forums? dont forget kbb.com and edmunds.com for prices of parts and stuff. also, luxury cars command luxury prices for parts. ask the dude if hes got another ecu or is willing to return it to stock. was it "adult" driven, 35yo+? or owned by a performance ho? i think the factory recommends the turbos rebuilding at 60k miles...might as well get a more efficient one. sorry, dont have too much experience with pricey cars, but if youve got the spare change, go for it. id love to have one myself, but im poor.

acrod99

Reaction score
My friend recently sold his like 99 s4 for 12000! He got tired of fixing it-$$!

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
i would avoid a modded car... i mean if you had the car, you would drive it aggressively, so certainly the current owner has as well (hence the performance mod(s) )

jcanni

Reaction score
i agree with you that a car with mods is typically driven hard. but im looking at it at a different way. most s4 6spd are going to be driven hard, it isnt like when i bought my honda off a middle aged conservative driver. but i still need to find out how long the chip has been on the car and have it inspected. it saves me the money of putting on a chip plus the mileage is pretty low so im not too worried.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
jcanni said:
i agree with you that a car with mods is typically driven hard. but im looking at it at a different way. most s4 6spd are going to be driven hard, it isnt like when i bought my honda off a middle aged conservative driver. but i still need to find out how long the chip has been on the car and have it inspected. it saves me the money of putting on a chip plus the mileage is pretty low so im not too worried.

true but its also an audi, so there are going to be plenty of middle-aged or old bastards out there that bought an s4 just to have the extra power without ever using it. same with m3, m5, some volvos, some saabs, etc etc. you're not talking about a jetta or anything... you should be able to find a car for sale by an older guy/gal i would imagine.

klee

Reaction score
jcanni said:
i am currently looking at a 2000 audi s4. it is silver with black leather, nav, 6spd, 45k, extra wheels with snow tires and it is chipped. the car is going for 19 thousand. is this a fair price considering it has a chip in it? i was thinking i could negotiate it down to 18 because of the chip. or should i stay away from the car? ive read the turbos blow a lot after being chipped and that costs a lot of $ to replace.

Personally, I would avoid any chipped car. There could be problems existing or down the line.

Back