Tools

yellowfever

Reaction score
So i havnt had the accord long but ive been trying to maintain and upgrade it myself as much as possible, problem is that ive been getting discouraged. Everytime i take on a project I find i dont have the tools or the right tools for it. So I think maybe its time that i shift my funds, heres what i have, what i want, and what i think i need.

have:
Basic 60 peice ratchet set
Hydrolic Jack
Pliers
heavey duty metal snips
hex key set (standard and metric)
Ramps

want:
dremel
heatgun
soldering iron

need???
torque wrench
power drill

Could you guys lemme know if this stuff is needed, where a good place to get a deal is and most of all what im missing. :confused:

Last edited:

chomorro21

Reaction score
As far as what is missing i dont think you can really be prepared unless your a mechanic by profession. I have a ton of tools yet i am always heading to the shop to pick up an oddball peice. The one thing i dont have that i wish i could have is a air compressor with an impact gun, i recommend getting one of those :)

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Here's some more things you'll want/need to pick up..

Screw driver set - Just mentioned it since you didn't
Mechanic's Stesiscope - Great for locating knocks, ticks etc..
FT LB & IN LB Torque wrench - You'll need both for engine work
Magnet (telescoping) - Helps to grab bolts when they drop
Jack stands - DO NOT crawl under a car or support a car by the jack alone
Spark plug socket - They have a rubber insert, prevents the plugs from being broken
Liquid wrench or similar - Always a great thing to have around, never know when you'll get a rusted or seized bolt.
Feeler Gauges - Always good to have when it comes to things like valve clearance
Wrenches standard and metric - No doubt you WILL need these. Get a good set, especially metric 7mm-15mm you should be fine.
Tap & Die set - Never know when you'll need one, bolts/nuts/mounting holes DO strip on occasion
Rubber malet - Always handy
Portable compressor & pneumatic tool set - Can't really live without it
Wobble socket set - Trust me you WILL need this sooner or later
Screw out, bolt out or similar - Helps to remove bolts with stripped heads/remove screws/bolts with broken heads

that's just some basic mechanic tools..I myself have all of the above and more. I could go on but I'll keep it basic

Last edited:

yellowfever

Reaction score
awsome very helpfull, could you explain torque wrenches more, i was at home depot today and saw two but they were both huge! Is there a standardized size in foot and inch that would be deffinite stand bys for a honda?

shavedaccord

Reaction score
You'll want a 3/4 in both. You could go to 1/2 but the problem with that is it'll be tough to get into tight places

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i have a heatgun for sale, but i think it's better if u just go to home depot and get one

btw, i motion this to be stickied, esp if we can add onto the tool list and description as shaved did :thumbsup:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Adding some more..

Wire strippers - Essential for doing wiring
Wire connector set - Variety of spades, ring connectors etc. comes in handy
Compression checker - Good idea to have one if you plan on engine work
Seal puller - Looks sinister, enables you to easily pull seals. Very handy for transmission seals, crank seals etc..
Tire pressure gauge - I recommend the old school pen like ones, talking ones or digital tend to be off
Coolant tester - Always handy to know what your coolant is good too
Battery terminal/post cleaner - Wire brush like tool, used to clean your battery posts and terminals
Mechanic's gloves - Good investment, no since in banging up your knuckles
Fender aprons/guards - Good idea to lay these over your fenders while working on the engine, helps prevent scratches
Stubby screw drivers - You'll need these at some point, normal screw drivers are not able to fit in every place
Oil filter wrench - Can come in handy if an oil filter was tighten to much or not pre-oiled
Door panel removal tool - Great to have so you can pop the clips and not break them

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i'll add a couple of my ghetto tools :D:

zip ties - good to hold up anything
used toothbrush - for cleaning out your TB

Last edited:
Back