Trunk Floor

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
well, ive noticed that my sub, amp, and box are doing a number on the floor of my trunk. its starting to bow in pretty bad, and ive been thinking of putting a different floor in. i thought about getting a sheet of plywood, tracing the current floor of my sedan onto the plywood, then cutting out and carpeting it. you guys think i could get the whole floor in one big cut? or would i have to piece it like the floor already is? has anyone else had this problem? did you fix it, and how? also, where could i get carpeting if i do go at it this way? any suggestions and tip would be appreciated (sp?).

ryon527

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem andy. I'm going to replace my floor with a new one. Theres a carpet at pep boys thats meant for garage floors that matchs the factory carpet pretty well. The wall I had for my amp was covered in that material.I'll give you the name when I go home. I plan on putting in hinges further down so I can hinge the floor up with the sub box still in the car. I'm also putting my amp inside the spare tire and cutting a hole in the floor over the amp and covering the hole with mesh. For the floor at home depot there's a wood material by the mdf and perforated board that I'm going to use. i don't know the name of it put its smooth and like a 1/4 inch thick.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
mdf is stuff that people make there sub boxes out of right? and if i read right, you said they make it with holes thru it? i guess for it to be lighter. idk where the nearest pep boys is around me, i have NEVER even seen a pep boys store, hahaha. about your hinges, where about are you putting them? in the back so the back can fold up? or the front so the front can? i think the hinge idea i should prolly do as well, cuz i stil have my spare, and i wont take it out, so i htink if i ever got a flat, itd be easier to push the sub back and fold up the floor rather then taking the sub and the floor out, hahaha. i do have an autozone and a driver f/x pretty close to me, ill check them out as far as the carpet goes. i really hope autozone has it, cuz driver f/x tends to over charge me on everything. the only thing ive ever bought there that was cheeper then anywhere else, was my radiator cap, haha. thanks for the info :D

ryon527

Reaction score
with the hinge its going to be work like stock but the hinging line will be closer to the rear bumper so you won't have to take out the box to get to the spare. the material isn't mdf, in the home depot by my house its right next to the material and the perforated board is by it too. It's more like a partical fiberboard type wood. One side is smooth and the other side is rough. That carpet is 10 dollars a roll and 1 roll should be enough for the trunk. I'm just going to use a 3m spray adhesive to get the carpet to stick to the fiberboard stuff.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
oooohhh, ok, i understand now, hahaha, i just couldnt read before i guess. anyway, i was gonna use that spray adhesive stuff too, thats pretty much the only way to go about it. and the material that youre talkin about in home depot, i think im pretty sure i know what it is, i think ive seen the stuff before. about the hinges, were you thinking of putting them on the top part of the board, and just not putting adhesive around them so that you can fold it up without the carpet sticking to it? i think it would work that way. so that the hinges will be concealed, but theyll still work fine anyway. or were you just gonna like, get black hinges and put them on the top of the carpet? damn, i gotta get some velcro too to keep my sub from flying all over the place, haha.

ryon527

Reaction score
i'm putting the hinges underneath. I'm going to leave a little gap between the two pieces so I can wrap the carpet over the edges. Where the hinges are I won't be able to wrap it over the edge but it should be fine. I'll probably paint the hinges black so you won't be able to really see part of the hinge in the gap. I think I'm going to just epoxy the hinges to the board. Hopefully that'll work. Damn I gotta finish projects before I start another. I got that retrofit 1/4 done. !2 LEDs behind the smaller half of the clear reflector. That was my secret I had :D

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea, talk about projects, i think i have soooo many to get done this year, haha. what id like to do before the fall is
-trunk floor
-exhaust
-DIY ground kit from this site
-plugs and wires
-springs or coilovers
-red/clear tail lights with just the red spray tinted
and
-fix my scrape on my bumper
hahaha, sound like enough fun? i should be getting the exhaust soon. i could prolly even get these done before summer....actually, that sounds like a good goal, i think ill go for that, haha. but anyway, thanks for all the info, im deff gonna try to get this thing done asap after the exhaust.

Last edited:

ryon527

Reaction score
andy that carpet is called oil dri garage guard. Its got some sort of backing on it so the glue won't absord into the felt.

http://www.sparkleauto.com/oildri.html

l90693b.jpg

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
i used that carpeting when i was doing my install this summer, while i think it matches the interior pretty well I think that it would be too light to use on the trunk floor - for one it would look kind of funny to have light grey floor and dark grey sides, and also because its lighter it will show dirt a little better.

for wood, it sounds like you guys are talking about pegboard. if you are, that stuff isn't the strongest stuff around. and definitely don't bother using mdf for that, too heavy and just not worth it. I would just use some 1/4" plywood if I were you, you will easily be able to make it one big cut too. I used 1/4" plywood for my false wall in the trunk & covered it with that grey carpeting by using 3M adhesive spray. plywood is cheap, light, and fairly strong - i'd just use that.

the board in the floor of the trunk isn't that complicated, hell you could cut that out with a circular saw if you wanted too, but with a jigsaw you should have no problems. just my $.02 anyways, that's probably how i'd go about it

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
just daydreaming about it, i was considering just making a 2 piece thing out of 1/2 in mdf so i could get at the spare tire, and then having it underneath the stock cardboard/carpet if i cant locate any carpet. i know mdf is heavy, but i need something to keep everything in place and i tend to get in the trunk when working on stuff. 1/4 in plywood is so hard to work with. it always splinters on the edges. i dont know what im going to do about it, but im doing something in the spring to fix it. i actually want to get rid of the cheap carpet looking stuff around the trunk and do my entire trunk as a custom deal. you know like angling off the sides...its hard to descibe. well see how much time and ambition i have when the time comes.

Back