powering the amp

osiriskidd

Reaction score
so my dad gave me his old pioneer amp (i'd say 600watts with 2 speaker support) and i hooked them up to my 10" pioneer and 10" generic.

however, the pioneer is the only one that works. i've solo tested them both and they work indivually, but when i hook them both up only the pioneer works.

is it being an energy whore, or is the amp not powering them correctly?
would a cap fix this?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
is it a 4 channel amp? how are the speakers hooked up? please dont tell me theyre both single voice coil running on a 2 channel amp :eek:

osiriskidd

Reaction score
i wouldn't know. i'll talk to my friend about it tomorrow cuz hes the one that sold the speakers to me. and i believe its 2channel amp.

but he DID tell me he wired it up to 1 amp by putting the wires together into 1 slot.

edit yea i think they were s coils. doh. gonna try to connect them to 1 channel to see what happens.

Last edited:

dynasty

Reaction score
yeah, try to bridge the wire from one sub to another and hook it up to one channel. if that works fine, try the other channel. if you can tell the difference from one is softer than the other, then it's your amp.

dynasty

Reaction score
xluben said:
mixing subs = bad

how is it bad? my friend did that to his for over a year. nothing happen to his. 400 watt amp with 400 watt max on each (2) subs.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
you can mix subs as long as the amp sees the same impedance...but dont do it unless youre an extreme cheapass. if youre hooking two subs into one channel, youre halving the impedance seen by the amp. so if youve got two 4ohm svc subs hooked into one channel (or bridged) the amp is seeing a 2ohm load. this=bad if the amp is old.

a svc sub needs its own channel to run its rated load. this is why they work individually but not together. see the diagram here and wire them up to produce an 8ohm load. its a lot easier on the amp and will produce the same sound :thumbsup:

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
ryan s said:
you can mix subs as long as the amp sees the same impedance...but dont do it unless youre an extreme cheapass. if youre hooking two subs into one channel, youre halving the impedance seen by the amp. so if youve got two 4ohm svc subs hooked into one channel (or bridged) the amp is seeing a 2ohm load. this=bad if the amp is old.

a svc sub needs its own channel to run its rated load. this is why they work individually but not together. see the diagram here and wire them up to produce an 8ohm load. its a lot easier on the amp and will produce the same sound :thumbsup:

yup

no one can really help you out with this topic though without knowing how the subs are wired to the amp.

this page should help you http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/elementaldesigns_wiring.php

I wouldn't send anything lower than a 4 ohm load to that amp.

p.s. mixing subs (assuming the impedance load is the same) is only bad because it sounds worse, not because there's any increased risk of failure to the subs or the amp if you wired it correctly

Back