DIY LED clock light (w/ pics)

thejameshimself

Reaction score
i got tired of the green tint on my clock, so i decided to do something about it.

here's a before/after shot from my crappy camera phone
2.jpg
16.jpg

you'll need a soldering iron, flat & phillips head screwdriver, scissors, a load resistor (mine was 470ohm), and an led
ratshack only had one type of white LED (pn 276-320) in stock so that's what i used (if/when i replace it i'll try to update this). it was 5mm, 3.6 volts, 20ma. if you plan on using a different led, brush up on your electronics and give this site a visit: led calculator(the power supply is going to be 12 volts, obviously)

[Part 1 - bulb replacement]

1) remove the clock - cover a flat head with a rag and pry just underneath the clock. unplug the cables in the back of the clock and hazard button.

2) take the white cover off the back of the clock by pulling on the four tabs. you'll be left with the back side of the circuit board

3.jpg

3) the old clock light has tabs on the side that keep it in place. rotate it with a flat head screwdriver they're lined up with the holes and take it out

4) put your led in place of the bulb. (i was able to shove my 5mm led snug into the hole where the bulb was. if you use something smaller you'll probably need some epoxy to hold it in place)

5) there will be two half-circle contacts on either side of where you installed it. towards the top of the clock is positive (+) and towards the bottom is ground.

you are going to want to solder one side of your load resistor to the top contact, then solder the other side to the (+) wire of the LED (the longer of the two leads coming out of the LED) then solder the shorter leg to the bottom side of the contact.

here's a diagram i did in good ol' paint and a blurry picture:

17.JPG
15.jpg

also remember to leave room for where the cover on the back goes.

6) if all you wanted to do was change the light, reverse the first two steps and you're done

[Part 2 - diffuser mod]

1) Follow the first two steps above, then remove the four screws on the circuit board

4.jpg

2) Keep the clock face down and remove the board. underneath where it was there will be a big piece of plastic with a 'c' on one end. remove this and you should see the blue-ish diffuser. keep track of the way everything was facing and oriented.

8.jpg

3) I made my new diffuser out of paper using the old one as a stencil.

10.jpg

4) cut the blue part off of the old diffuser so the black border just remains. reinstall the border and your new diffuser into the clock assembly. (the border is to help prevent wobbling)

13.jpg

5) put everything else back in the way it was before, then reverse step one.

Notes:
*) If you opt to keep the stock bulb and just use the paper diffuser the bulb glows an amber color (looks 90s)
*) dimmer knob doesn't work on this as well as the rest of the lights
*) If you drive without your hazard button in your turn signals won't work
*) radioshack employees are little to no help
*) it's not very bright, i'll upgrade in the future

MikeyMike

Reaction score
wow ur pic is confusing, here i just did mine thanks to your DIY

heres a clear pic of the back of the clock w/ the cover removed, and the Hazard switch out.. 5mm blue LED fits in nice, kinda wedges itself in. my resistor is under the shrink tube, i also completely removed the blue defuser underneith( mine is diff then yours)

clock.jpg

gotta do my climate now :(
Img_06263.jpg

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
hmm looks simple enough...any type of hot spot going on? if i did this my clock would actually light up :rock:

thejameshimself

Reaction score
not any hot spots on mine, but it's also not very bright.

i'm waiting on some better leds to ship. i'll experiment and update when i get them

MikeyMike

Reaction score
the difuser is used to eliminate hot spot, i didnt use one, i have a slight one on the right side.. i dont really care tho.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
im going to go ahead and assume the resistors are 1/4W judging by the size. in any case, i got the 100pk from the shack and im going to try the 330 ohm and make it brighter :D i dont feel like doing calculations :D

i might also shave the tip a bit to help dispersion.

why a 100pk, you ask? they also sell pcb for about the same price as online+shipping...hmm... :)

edit: i did do some calculations (lol) at http://www.ledcalc.com/ and it says 1/4W 390 ohm resistor but RS only carries 330/420. oh yeah, check out this site...it converts bands on resistors so no head math plus its faster to click than think :D

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
couple of notes as i do this...

**looks like 98-00 clocks are different than 01-02. in mine, take apart the diffuser and trace the blue diffuser on a piece of paper...no need to cut anything but the paper itself. the diffuser is also clear with little white and black spacers for the board.
**the radio shack 100pk of 1/4W resistors (271-308) only has 220 and 470ohm...everything else is higher and lower :(
**wrapped the resistor and LED around and w/e...removed the plastic around the bulb area.
**ok, got it in and it works :) too bad the entire right side is bright :( btw i used a white led, and i might take out the paper diffuser and experiment later. i did end up using the 220ohm resistor...well see how long she lasts :D

overall, for less than $6 im pretty pleased with the outcome. my clock works now :D plus now i can get cracking on other LED projects...i havent worked with them since high school (over 4 years ago yikes!)

thejameshimself

Reaction score
i tried a 350ohm and the led burnt out in no time. i highly recommend sticking with the 470.

if you want it brighter:
1)drill a hole (3/16th works nicely) in the side of the clock
2)mount it 90 degrees like this:

18.jpg
21.JPG

try to get it centered as best you can on the big clear plastic diffuser thing (if anyone knows the technical term for this please tell me, i'm getting tired of sounding like a kindergartener)

here's the same led before & after (can you spot the toothbrush in the background?)
20.jpg
19.jpg

i'll update all this on my first post as soon as i get my new brighter leds and get everything in there permanantly. i may also do a write up about led'ing out the climate control to:
22.jpg

(evil laugh)

Back