Painting calipers / cleaning up rotors ?

cliffsta

Reaction score
Now that I have my 17s on, my rusty brake rotors and grey calipers are sticking out like a sore thumb. Has anybody painted calipers on our cars before? I want to paint them black, BTW. No Ricer Red or FAST Yellow for me ;) A friend of mine bought the Duplicolor kit for painting calipers, he said if you take your time cleaning, and let it set right, it is easy, just time consuming. His came out good (this is a 4-door Mazda of somesort). But also, the edges and backside of the wheel assembly are all rusty. My uncle said brake cleaner or any sort of strong detergent should take care of this. I'm not too sure about what to do with the rotors. Should / could they be painted black as well?

I searched the forum and did not see a DIY for painting calipers, reason being, I'm not sure how to take them off (since I've had the car a whole 4 months now). Just trying to see what will be involved, because from my understanding its an all-weekend job.

Thanks in advance.

steadypimpin

Reaction score
I know if you take the rotors off you can paint the middle area that gets rusted with some high temp paint. I did that to mine and it held up so far. The calipers is somthing that I want to do to so I'm waiting for a response to that. Hopefully there is a diy to do the calipers w/o taking them off.

Crono139

Reaction score
Just wrap around the caliper itself with newspaper, and spray away with paint. More than 1 coat is recommended.

Most likely, you'll get some paint on the surface of the rotor afterwards, which is perfectly fine. It will all come off with a little bit of driving, and braking. The paint won't affect anything, so don't worry.

I should post a DIY for when I paint my rotors, and calipers all in one shot.

6THGEN_AI4

^^^ Advance/Discount Auto part carries a high temp paint specially for calipers.
You don't have to take anything off, if the brake area gets accidentally painted in the rotors it would go away once you hit the brakes..... think about it .

rman402

Reaction score
Just painted my calipers black using the Engine enamel paint by Duplicolor which was a few bucks cheaper than the Break caliper paint, they are essentially the same. I'll have to take pics and post. Process wasn't that bad except it was hot as hell outside today and I live in an apartment so no shady garage to work in

cliffsta

Reaction score
Anybody cleaned up a stock rotor before? Or is it just easier to buy new OE replacements and paint their non-braking surfaces to prevent rust? I would LIKE to buy performance rotors like PowerStop but I don't have $300 to just throw away. The outside lip of my rotors is rusted pretty bad, as well as the inner edge:

tires.jpg

I think getting my rotors right is more important even than the callipers... other than cleaning them reallly well, that won't be difficult. Its these hideous rotors that are bothering me.

steadypimpin

Reaction score
sand down the center of the rotor and paint it with high temp silver or color of choice. Thats what I did. You dont need to sand it too much just enough to get the rust off. It works well.

rman402

Reaction score
I used one of those circular brillo pad things that attach to your cordless drill and it worked very well. I then sprayed them with brakleen brake cleaner and repeated until they looked new which took me awhile because mine looked similar to yours. I should have painted the middle section of the rotor but I was being lazy....maybe next time

cliffsta

Reaction score
What about the outter lip of the rotor? Same thing? Do you think it could be sanded and painted? And high-temp paint is what I figured since its gonna be hot. I'll wait till I have a whole weekend to do this so I can do it all at once, and maybe spray my inner fenders while I'm at it.

Back