with/without catalytic converter

TitaniumACC

Reaction score
Well, at the end of December, my car wasn't feeling good... I feel less exhaust sound in low rpm's and as soon as i hit VTEC, my engine was like he don't want to accelerate higher than 6000rpm.. At first i thought it was a vacuum leak of the IAB so i changed a little vacuum box. Road test, same sh!t. I checked few things and by mistaken, i gave a shot on my high-flow catalytic converter because my car was lifted.. I heard a little sound, like something is loosen.. We remove my exhaust line which is bolted after the flexible, so just before the catalytic converter.. The bastard was blocked so the filter element wasn't able to expulse exhaust gases enough..

With my exhaust line removed, i have just the headers and downpipe, i did a little road test... OMG!!! that was so crazy.. i mean, my car was so fast... he was pushing very hard, constantly from 0 to 235 km/h.. with my exhaust line, it's easy to get at 220 and after it's longer but without any exhaust line, it pushed it to 235 km/h very easy... But the sound was astounding. Over 7000rpm, it's like a sport bike..

It's crazy how even a high-flow cat is so restrictive... That's prolly why m 1/4 times weren't good at the end for summer compare to the summer start...

Next time on the track...you can be assure i will remove my exhaust line!!

sadkorean34

Reaction score
ur so right, even though it may be high flow cat, doesn't mean there is no restriction existed. I remember when I had my WRX b4 accord, i gutted the downpipe and uppipe, because I didn't have much money to start with, difference was whole lot. starting from exhaust sound to turbo spool..
catless is good, but we gotta worry about emission... which is the stupidity~

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
sadkorean34 said:
catless is good, but we gotta worry about emission... which is the stupidity~

werd.... why not just gut the OEM cat? it's free! :D or just put in a straight pipe!! no restrictions with tht!

TitaniumACC

Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
werd.... why not just gut the OEM cat? it's free! :D or just put in a straight pipe!! no restrictions with tht!

don't worry..my high-flow cat was blocked so i "un-blocked" him with an hammer and a punch if you know what i mean... You can't just put a straight pipe..if so, where will you put the O2 Sensor ? And if a cop check under my car, he will see a catalytic converter..which is empty but still there..

sadkorean34

Reaction score
straight pipe..
way too loud xD
once I tried putting 3" catback perrin single tip on my WRX b4, and also tried straight pipe..i've got to say..the loudness comes from the straight pipe..with CEL code on.

Back