Head Gasket?

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
ive taken a numerous amount of pictures of my engine bay, although not much has changed. lately ive been noticing some kind of leak from the head onto the block. When i went to the track a guy i know from a local forum told me my head gasket needed to be replaced. Now im wondering, is he right? and how easy is it to do? I never perform any work on my car, mainly because i dont posess the tools necessary to get the job completed. also does anyone have pictures of how to do it?

here's a pic:

DSC00383.jpg

also, i asked him how i could clean off the stuff of the head and block, and he said spray brake cleaner on it and it'll be like new. can anyone confirm this? or recommend somethin else?

shavedaccord

Reaction score
ehh..looks like a valve cover gasket to me..if it was head gasket it would be leaking below the header..brake cleaner will EAT paint..so don't get it on anything painted.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I conquer..valve cover gasket. Take your car to the DIY washes, spray some simple green, let it sit, it'll spray right off.

Quicksilvercord

Reaction score
Sorry to jack this thread but its kinda of the same issue. I plan on buying Roy (Darksides) Dc sports header off of him but I need to buy a header gasket for it. I was wondering if I could just use an OEM header gasket or if I need to get a DC sports on or similar.

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
its a very quick/simple fix i think all you'll need is a 10mm socket and ratchet.

heres the DIY for replacing the gasket, also theres a link in there for how to remove the valve cover. http://www.filtsai.com/accord/valve_cover_gasket/index.php

quicksilvercord: i think the oem one might fit, but i dont have dc sports, i have obx. you can modify(cut) another gasket if you want, just make sure there isnt any material restricting airflow, you want an even, smooth, perfect match to the inside of the tubes.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to jack this thread but its kinda of the same issue. I plan on buying Roy (Darksides) Dc sports header off of him but I need to buy a header gasket for it. I was wondering if I could just use an OEM header gasket or if I need to get a DC sports on or similar.

OEM or just go to autozone...etc...they're all the same.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
its a very quick/simple fix i think all you'll need is a 10mm socket and ratchet.

heres the DIY for replacing the gasket, also theres a link in there for how to remove the valve cover. http://www.filtsai.com/accord/valve_cover_gasket/index.php

quicksilvercord: i think the oem one might fit, but i dont have dc sports, i have obx. you can modify(cut) another gasket if you want, just make sure there isnt any material restricting airflow, you want an even, smooth, perfect match to the inside of the tubes.

wow thank you very much, i will try this.......as soon as i find the tools :bash:

my friend who used to be a good mechanic in mexico told me it was the valve cover gasket and it is very easy to replace. (found this out like 2 days ago).

also, would this lil problem affect gas mileage or performance at all?

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
mmm shouldnt be affecting performance and your oil pressure should be ok if its minor. make sure you keep checking/toping up your oil, if it runs too low it could cause some serious damage to the engine.

Back