Amp install with stock head unit

mizzouguy77

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a new poster here and am hoping that you can give me some guidance. I just installed an amp and sub to go with my stock head unit (amp was equiped with speaker level inputs), but I can't seem to figure where to connect the remote turn-on lead. I've got it wired to a switch below the dash for now, but that's obviously not an optimal fix. I've searched all around the web and can't seem to find a definitive answer as to where to connect this lead.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated as I know it's only a matter of time before I forget to flip the switch at night and come out the next morning to a dead battery!

mizzouguy77

Reaction score
I should specify that this install is in a 2000 Accord Coupe EX with a manual transmission.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
when i had an amp with my stock hu i ran the remote to the power wire for the HU, so it turns on and off when you turn the HU on. best way I know how to do it.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Wildman said:
when i had an amp with my stock hu i ran the remote to the power wire for the HU, so it turns on and off when you turn the HU on. best way I know how to do it.

That's what I would reccomend, Any type of power source that goes off then the key is out of the ignition is ok. But as wildman stated, use the power source of the radio. That way, once the radio is off, the amp is off

mizzouguy77

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Any idea which of the wires in the stock radio harness is the power wire?

Hush

Reaction score
on the harness itself has a remote wire. its blue. but the power ant is blue too you have to just try out both and see which one turns off with the deck. but i say get a new deck if you can cuz the stock HU doesn't give you that many fine tunning you would need to make the sub sound alot better.

Dallas

Reaction score
Hush said:
but i say get a new deck if you can cuz the stock HU doesn't give you that many fine tunning you would need to make the sub sound alot better.

yeah i have a 4 channel amp with my stock head unit, powering all the speakers, i mean it sounds great but if i put a new head unit it would sound oh so much better
but yet i am poor

Back