Welding needed on aftermarket exhaust...

okasu

Reaction score
I was wonder.. when getting an aftermarket cat back.. for installation no welding is needed right? You would only need welding if your going for a custom pipe diameter from the down pipe to the cat. converter? Im unsure but if no welding is needed to install the cat then I might aswell install it myself. HAHA low on money for installation.. but kinda happy I can do it my self.

hiperb0y

Reaction score
if you get one of the reputable brands like magnaflow apexi or greddy etc. then its just a direct bolt on, no welding required, should be pretty easy to install yourself, just make sure to get some wd40 or something to break up rust down there.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
yeah like hiper said, there shouldn't be any welding required. they will provide clamps to hold the segments of pipe together instead of getting them welded.

however, getting the bolts off the cat can be a HUGE pain in the *** because they rust up and seize really easy. i have a 2002 and when i got exhaust over a year ago my bolts were still really bad

acrod99

Reaction score
I have skunk2 and yea, the good cat-backs should all have good flanges and come with hardware/gaskets. simple day project and great to learn-but the catalytic bolts suck! especially the top one of the 3 on the exhaust side. i had to drill out the bolts completely, but that was my only hangup. good luck, man

okasu

Reaction score
Ahh.. I think Im going to have a shop replace the bolts of the cat n on for me. Then once I have those new bolts on. I will install the exhaust my self. Thanks for the advice ppl.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
if you take it to a shop you're better off having them do everything. should cost around $100

Back