H1 bulbs into Ebay headlights?

cliffsta

Reaction score
So I REALLY like the way the Ebay black housing headlights look, here's one:

Click

But I've been doing research here on 6thGen and apparently the light output sucks with these headlights...

My question is: HOW BAD is it compared to stock? I know a lot of guys here like overkill-to-the-max-blind-other-drivers bright... if the loss in lighting is negligable... I could live with it. I don't drive 90mph at night (or day) and I hate it when others blind me with their headlights... so I don't wanna do the same.

What about the pricier versions, such as this ?

Do the $140-$160 versioins put out better light?

How about this... what if you were to swap in H1 bulbs into these? Would the poor reflectors still cause horrible light output compared to stock?

I don't want to crack open my factory lights because I just don't want the risk of not sealing them back, or else I would blackhouse mine :-\

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
Dude.......don't buy from K2 Motor, they ****ed me over with my front lip. They sent me one for a coupe and when I told them it wouldn't fit they told me to take it to a body shop to have it modified.

My advice...........pre-heat the oven to 250deg, stick your stockies in there for 5 min, pry them apart, do what you will with the insides, stick 'em back in the oven for 5 min, press them back together, run a bead of silicon around the edges and your good to go. Anyone can buy......go DIY.

Last edited:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
OK here is the low down..

DOT has a scale in which headlamps must fall under for light output in order to be legal. Pretty much EVERY aftermarket projector headlamp available for our cars falls on the bare minimum of what DOT considers safe for driving. OEM headlamps either meet the maximum or typically exceeds it. So with that said the "no-name dime a dozen" projector headlamps you find on eBay and many websites operate at about 50-60% of what OEM does. The light output isn't great at all. If you're after better visibility I would steer clear of these projector headlamps. If you just want the looks and really could careless about visibility then I guess these would be what you want.

The only real exception in the world of aftermarket projector headlamps for our cars is a brand called "TYC". Although still not great output they are better than these dime a dozen projector headlamps mentioned above. Although still not as good as OEM.

The choices you should consider for better night visibility with the look you want:
Black housed OEM Stanley headlamps w/ either HIR bulbs or an HID kit.

Black housed OEM Stanley headlamps w/ a real HID projector retrofit (The most spendy but has the best overall result)

cliffsta

Reaction score
Thanks, ShavedAccord... that's the kinda hard numbers I was looking for. So, they really DO suck that bad :boo:

Now you say HID kit... do you mean something like THIS ? Or is there an actual "kit" for this conversion?

And I've been told that black housing on our stock headlights doesn't negatively affect headlight performance because the housing isn't part of the reflecting surface? Is this correct? I'm going to go read that DIY (again...) and try and learn more about it.

patofdzb

Reaction score
no hid kit is what shaved sells...
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2465

hid's are th kind of lights you see an a bmw, mercedes, lexus etc. ( really white & bright )
true hid's ( not those you posted ) are almost the 3 times the light..
halogen 1100 lumens.. hids. ~3200 lumens..
price ranges drom about 150- 400 and even more depending on brands...

go to xtralights.com to learn more.. its a really goodsite and has alot of info..

oh and blackhousing a headlight does NOT affect light output..

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Black housed OEM Stanley headlamps w/HIR bulbs.
what ive got now :thumbsup:
shavedaccord said:
Black housed OEM Stanley headlamps w/ a real HID projector retrofit (The most spendy but has the best overall result)
what im working on :rock:

go with stock headlamps for sure...even the made in taiwan stock look-alikes have worse output than genuine stanleys...and i would even extend that statement to the depo brand.

indowanksta88

Reaction score
hahaha i just noticed that in the ebay link, the white accord that is in the picture has stock blackhousing headlights Lol, and the seller probably thinks that the car has the ebay headlights hhaha

shavedaccord

Reaction score
what ive got now :thumbsup:

what im working on :rock:

go with stock headlamps for sure...even the made in taiwan stock look-alikes have worse output than genuine stanleys...and i would even extend that statement to the depo brand.
Yeah I forgot to mention "OEM Style" headlamps and "Depos". The companies that makes these again just like the projectors are more worried about looks than functionality..so while DOT approved they fall at the low end or bare minimum of acceptable output. If you don't feel comfortable blackhousing your own headlamps you can always ask for someone on here, there are tons of people with the know how. Or you could keep an eye out, people do sell their OEM blackhousings if not on here v6p.net for sure.

cliffsta

Reaction score
So then what in the world are the HIDs I linked to? Are they not just replacement bulbs that I could just pop in and have slightly better output than normal? And I searched about HIR and those made no sense either. Like I said, I'm not concerned with blinding other drivers. A simple good pure white replacement bulb (white instead of yellow) would be cool for when I do blackhousing.

Sorry for such noob-ish questions... I'm 100% headlight and bulb ignorant... only headlight I had to buy before was this ;)

sylh6024st003.jpg

For the truck, of course :)

shavedaccord

Reaction score
So then what in the world are the HIDs I linked to? Are they not just replacement bulbs that I could just pop in and have slightly better output than normal? And I searched about HIR and those made no sense either. Like I said, I'm not concerned with blinding other drivers. A simple good pure white replacement bulb (white instead of yellow) would be cool for when I do blackhousing.

Sorry for such noob-ish questions... I'm 100% headlight and bulb ignorant... only headlight I had to buy before was this ;)

sylh6024st003.jpg

For the truck, of course :)
HID = High Intensity Discharge. The bulbs are filled with a xenon gas and it's ignited with ballasts..works the same way shop lights do in a sense. The ballasts send the volts, ignites the gas and viola you have light. So in actuality you will get 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts and wiring that plugs into your stock system.

HIR = Halogen infrared is a halogen type bulb with an infrared coating for greater light output and whiter light..it won't be too much whiter than stock but it's still a huge improvement. They don't make a direct 9006 application so you will have to slightly modify a 9011 (I think?) bulb to fit which is very simple.

Last edited:
Back