Question about DIY Blacken Headlights

miker_go

Reaction score
hi guys, this is my first post. ive been doing a lot of reading on the website and i am planning to DIY my headlights in the near future. I just have one question about the baking process. When you guys say to leave it in the oven for 10 mins at 300 degrees does that mean:
1) the oven is preheated to 300 degrees already? or
2) just stick the headlights into the oven and set to 300 degrees then start the timer?

And adding silicone before putting the headlights back on greatly reduces the chance of fogging right?

Sorry if my questions are noob, i tried to research the best i could and i couldnt find the answer to my question.

Thanks again. More power.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
for me i just turned the oven on, went out started taking my lights off. by the time i was ready to put them in the oven was ready, dont think i went to 300 tho. i think i just turned the oven on its lowest setting, 250?

about the silicone, no personal experience with it here. i've taken my lights apart twice and have not added anymore sealer/glue (whatever the hell its called) and i dont have any problems with fogging.

miker_go

Reaction score
ayt thanks guys for all your helpful input. ill probably do this soon. ill post pics when its done. ^ ^ my older brother just got a 1998 V6 Sedan. I'm planning to do this to make the lights more easy on the eyes.

00Accord4cyl

The Orange Skittle
Reaction score
Yeah 10 min will probably not be needed...but yeah if you take it out after 6 min and u can't get them open, stick them back in...It will take longer to get them off the first time since they have never been opened...Have fun though!!!

As for the silicone, you might not have to add any..really up to you..the chances of fogging will increase though...if you want to be safe you might as well buy some and add it..but i usually only add some if i see problems after i put them back together...

miker_go

Reaction score
ayt thanks a lot guys..

i have one more question though, does the glue leave a bad odor when you bake it? Just curious...

dynasty

Reaction score
it might smell a little bit bad inside the oven but that's about it. after awhile, it'll stop the smell so it won't be permanent.

miker_go

Reaction score
ok thanks again. you guys have been a lot of help. i hope to do my headlights soon. ^ ^

Back