Tips to loosen Oil Drain bolt?

simplicity

Reaction score
I know I sound like a moron for asking this....but I've been taking my car in for oil changes for some time now but want to get back in the routine of doing my own oil change.

So I jacked up the car today and tried to loosen the drain bolt...but I couldnt ...I tried some WD40...waited a little...still can't get that thing to budge.

Any tips? Why would it be on so tight? I didn't remember it beiing so hard to remove...I hope the people who did my oil didnt overtighten it...29ft-lb of torque should be all that's needed.

I feel like a loser :(

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
LOL don't feel like a loser :rofl:

Hmm it should come off easily considering it was prolly taken off 3-4k miles ago... Did you make sure you were turning it the right way? Or maybe try a torque wrench to undo it if its really tight.
Sorry thats all I can really think of before bringing out the big guns... but the drain bolt really shouldndt be on that tough..

Jeffro

Reaction score
If you really want to do it yourself, you can always use a breaker bar to loosen it, but you can damage it, your wrench, etc., especially if you're doing something like turning it the wrong way. Never use a breaker bar to put it back on, either (/disclaimer)

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
you try when it was warm? or you can use a heat gun on the pan surrounding the bolt causing it to expand faster than the bolt...loosening it...also a wrench with at least 12-14" of leverage helps

simplicity

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I warmed up the car a little. Maybe not warm enough? I am turning it counter clockwise to loosen it. I'll try again after I drive it out a bit and see if I get luckier.

update: I went out and got a socket that fit my 1/2 drive wrench instead of the 3/8 drive. Help from a hammer and the thing came loose.

Last edited:

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
good stuff, i just hope the thread isnt messed up from it being on so tight. glad to see u got it off tho ;)

i love the feeling of warm motor oil on the hands lol... too bad its a carcenogen:sad:

shavedaccord

Reaction score
righty tighty, lefty losey<-- Always remember that unless it's left hand thread. They obviously tightened it WAY to tight. I believe it should be 27 ft lbs. Always a good practice to put some of the new oil on the drain plug washer to help it from seizing.

simplicity

Reaction score
righty tighty, lefty losey<-- Always remember that unless it's left hand thread. They obviously tightened it WAY to tight. I believe it should be 27 ft lbs. Always a good practice to put some of the new oil on the drain plug washer to help it from seizing.

That's a good idea...I did that by accident...well....I dropped the bolt in the oil pan and it was drenched with the OLD oil...hehe...yeah i might pick up a new bolt next time....this one is kinda worn out...

dynasty

Reaction score
if it's really hard to unscrew, remember what shaved said, righty tighty, lefty losy. i remember that also. if it's still tight, use a breaker bar (metal pipe) and use that as an extention so it could loosen up that bolt. when you get it out, if you haven't done so, get a washer and put it on the bolt so next time it wouldn't be that difficult.

Back