bolts on valve cover not tightnening

deucescorner

Reaction score
is there a specific way to do it cause my arent tightenening at all, please help

man that just happened to me, the problem for me was that the bolt broke and i had to use easy out to remove it just be careful when you tighten, better off using a torque wrench

remove the bolt and see if it snapped best way to check

white beauty

Reaction score
yeah man i realized that mine snapped as well, oh well, ive been driving the car all day and i guess that the valve cover is just so tight on there becasue there is no oil leak what so ever. this kind of s**t always happens to me lol, cant do a DIY without screwing up

yellowfever

Reaction score
if it makes you feel any better i snapped two of mine last week doing the same thing, the problem is that there heat tempered bolts and arnt made to be reinstalled, gonna cost me about 250$ to fix. Do yourself a favor and go grab some high heat silicone till you can get the problem fixed. The bolts are 9$ each at honda but you should have a professional drill the bolts out for you.

yellowfever

Reaction score
thats the thing about drilling bolts out isnt it? if it works then it saves you alot of money and if you screwe up then it costs you a ton of money. I cant take that gamble. You drill a few degrees off and your heads ruined.

deucescorner

Reaction score
i broke 2 of mine but was able to easy out only one of them cause the way one of them snapped made the bolt straight but the other one snapped with an angle so i left that for now

white beauty

Reaction score
i been driving for about three days now with three of them broken and so far so good no leaks, i dont wnat to take off the other two becasue if they crack then im totally f***ed, im just gonna leave it until it starts leaking, which seeing how tight that valve cover is on i dont think it will

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Use a torque wrench. They are probably supposed to be at 10 ft/lbs or so i would guess. When i did mine, i didn't bother with a torque wrench because i'm lazy but it should be just like an 8th of a turn after it gets tight. Your lucky honda bolts snap easily because if you had a different car, or something with DOHC especially, you probably would have crack the VC.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Torque to 7lbs MAX. I use the three finger rule. Only tighten as much as I can while holding the ratchet at the head with three fingers and a thumb. :thumbsup:

Back