6x9s Setup

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Hi guys, I don't know anything about car stereos really but I'm not very happy with the stock system and want something a little bit better. I just want to buy new speakers in the back, they are 6x9s right?

My question is that if I get the new speakers in the back would I just be able to take out the stock ones and use the same wiring to connect up the new 6x9s? Also can I do this without having to buy an amp or a new head unit etc, I already have a pioneer headunit that came with the car when I bought it.

Theres only 2 options for speakers I'm lookin at right now but I'm completely open to suggestions. My friend will sell me some sony xplod 6x9s for $40... they are used is that a big concern? The other onesI'm looking at are from another friend's workplace where he can get em super cheap prolly around $50, they are these http://canadiantire.ca/browse/produ...older_id=1408474396672460&bmUID=1184311087923. Which speakers are better? Thanks in advance.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
well the link you provided took me to no speakers, but yes the rears are 6x9 you can put them in w/o an amp and new hu with no problems. the wiring tho will not just hook right up, you would either need to get wiring adapters from like www.crutchfield.com or just make your own. i just popped the factory plastic connectors off and soldered short lengths of wire to the terminals on the speakers and hooked them up to the factory wires

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Ah sorry that site is kinda wierd, won't let me link. If you type t2z2j3 into the postal code box it will take you right to the speakers tho. Soldering is always fun i'll probably do it that way

NINaudio

Reaction score
I'd go with the brand new pioneers. Better than running the risk of getting a blown used speaker. Plus I've always found pioneer's speakers to be better than sony's.

nexTOme

Reaction score
pioneers ftw. i will be doing pioneer all around in my car soon....my HU is kenwood tho...but i love it....:hihi:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
xplods are weak...end of story.

why not upgrade the fronts instead? all you hear are the fronts anyway. only difference is you can hear stuff in the trunk like tools or bottles...

white beauty

Reaction score
xplods are weak...end of story.

x2, i originally had pioneer speakers all around with my alpine HU, but i wasnt saitisfied with the quality, then i upgrded to infinity speakers all around and kept my alpine HU and damn the difference was amazing so much better, try looking into infinity speakers, there a bit pricey but well worth it

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
Ok I have a bit more information now:

-Xplod's are brand new, he never got the chance to install them in his old car. They are 6 way which I understand is that they can make more variety of sounds out of the speaker the higher the number is. He doesn't remember but they are something like 200 watts.
-The Pioneers are 300 watts, 3 way speakers. I can get them for roughly the same price as the Xplods. I'm not really lookin into any other speakers now since I can only get deals on these two, thanks for the other suggestions tho. I got an aftermarket pioneer HU, not sure of the model number but I can check it out, but generally should it be able to handle 300 watts?

I was thinking replacing the back speakers would make a huge difference and get rid of that annoying distortion when I turn the volume up kinda high. I knew someone in highschool that had nice 6x9s and the sound quality was really good, also I was convinced he had subs in the trunk too but it was just the 6x9s. I can look into replacing the front speakers instead if the rears won't make a difference.. but it doesn't look like there are any good ones on that site, he can only hook me up with products from that online catalog I linked. Thanks for all the replies so far guys, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

champaned_out

Reaction score
replacing your 6.5s will get you better sound quality, also 300watts sound like your posting their peak power which means nothing... what you want to check is the RMS watts also all those adds that show speakers having 6way speakers are all just advertisement... its been proven 2way speakers can perform just as good or even better
hope this helps

NINaudio

Reaction score
The radio is what powers the speakers, so you don't have to worry about the power the speakers can handle. Champane hit the nail on the head in his post though. 6-way co-ax speakers are overkill and just there for marketing material. A good 2 way or at the most 3-way co-ax speaker is all you'd need. I'd still go with the Pioneers over the Sony's any day. Due to the size, replacing the rears will probably get you more bass impact than replacing the front speakers, so if that's what you're after then I'd go for that.

Back