hood dampeners

yellowfever

Reaction score
so my buddy just got his hands on a eagle talon tsi. He took all the turbo parts and i took the muffler(very very happy) and the dampers from the hatch. Im very confident that they will be more than stronge enough because that hatch weighs a ton without them. They look like there in great condition and i got them off with all harware intact. Does anyone have any experience with this? Im guessing i should mount the bases near the front of the engine bay and the ends in the middle of the hood? Words of wisdom?

5spdcoupe

Reaction score
mmm on most cars i've seen they don't attach to the middle of the hood but a little closer towards the windshield like 1/3 the way or less... i'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make tho or if any at all

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
if youre talking 1g trunk shocks, theyre realllly long. like g ( :) ) said, they dont go very far away from the windshield.

i wouldnt trust my head to them though...my buddies had maybe 2 dsm's that have ever stayed up on their own. as in, 2/10...and one happens to be his 10 second gsx lol

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I don't have experience using hatch struts on the hood. I do have experience with dsm hatch struts. They suck, they go bad, the hatch falls on you, lol. I never took the time to replace mine but almost every dsmer i know had them fail on them (i know many). They act differely in different heat as well.

Another thing, i just worked on a car with oem struts for the hood. Luckily i was at an angle, it only hit my shoulder, no biggie. But the latch was about 1/4 in from hitting my eye. If my shoulder wasn't their, who knows what would happen. I will never trust them again, that could have been a very major thing.

Back