Repairing window regulators

v3rg3

Reaction score
Sup forum? I'm new, and this is my first post. I just purchased a '98 Honda Accord Coupe LX, and after about a month with no problems, the passenger side window stops going up. It will go about 3/4 of the way up, then the motor starts slipping on the regulator gears.

I have the door panel off right now and am ready to dive right in and remove the regulator, but I have a few questions before doing it. Are the gear teeth of the regulator accessible, and if so, is it possible to repair the actual gear teeth to fix the problem? I'm almost certain that it's just slipping on the teeth. If there are any pictures of a window regulator changeout diy, please direct me. I tried searching, and could not find one.

Thanks a lot for all the help on this site. It's been very informative!

Sinful

Reaction score
hey, same thing happened to me. I don't thinks its possible to repair the teeth, i had to buy a new regulator from honda. Its surprising how much they charge you for install. It's moderately easy but kinda difficult to do, but I don't have a DIY for it. Its a bit tough to get the thing out though, but just take your time, and remember where all the screws and stuff go. You'll probably need 2 people to do the job too, for holding the window in place

v3rg3

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Do you know remember how much you paid for it at the dealer? I called local auto suppliers, and they run a little over a hundred bucks. Does this include the regulator, and all parts, as well as the motor? Oh ya, this is for the coupe, not the sedan.

v3rg3

Reaction score
Alright, just FYI, I finally fixed the window regulator. The problem was not the gear teeth, but the actual central rivet (sp?) that holds the tracking for the window. It seems as if originally, the tracking offset itself somehow and was not aligned anymore. The motor was strong enough to keep it moving for a while, but eventually the alloy rivet started mis-shaping, and finally the whole thing would not swivel anymore. I put a DIY rivet, you know, a nut, bolt, and spacer combo. The window works perfectly now. Saved myself a couple hundred on parts/labor, or $100plus for just the parts.

zitro_pr

Reaction score
Alright, just FYI, I finally fixed the window regulator. The problem was not the gear teeth, but the actual central rivet (sp?) that holds the tracking for the window. It seems as if originally, the tracking offset itself somehow and was not aligned anymore. The motor was strong enough to keep it moving for a while, but eventually the alloy rivet started mis-shaping, and finally the whole thing would not swivel anymore. I put a DIY rivet, you know, a nut, bolt, and spacer combo. The window works perfectly now. Saved myself a couple hundred on parts/labor, or $100plus for just the parts.

Do you have picture of the Diy rivet (a nut, bolt, and spacer combo)?
I have the same problem in my car !

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score
I want to replace my motors with the ones from the CLS, I read on hondanews.com that they are more powerful and provide for faster window opening/closing something im starting to like after watching my bros fast 07 Civic windows.

Found it:
Honda News said:
http://www.hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/659
PRECISE FIT AND FINISH
The world-class fit and finish of the TL is readily apparent at a brief glance or under the closest scrutiny. The TL's doors, for instance, are tuned with stiff structures, laser-welded door panel blanks, special plastic-encapsulated door checkers and latches, and generous sound damping materials - all of which combine to deliver a high-quality "thunk" when the doors are closed. Special power-window motors increase window speed and reduce noise, while the windows themselves are sealed with reliable sash-type door structures

Last edited:

Mijisu

Reaction score
I had the same problem, but mine was on the drivers side. The gears where messed up and the window fell with no warning. Luckily it didnt shatter. I purchased the part at the junk yard. Honda was charging me $100+ for the set. And I bought it for $60 at the junk yard (Chula Vista, SoCal). So I suggest if you guys need to change or repair your window regulators, you guys might wanna check your local junk yards. It worked great. ^_^

xx24xx

Reaction score
I want to replace my motors with the ones from the CLS, I read on hondanews.com that they are more powerful and provide for faster window opening/closing something im starting to like after watching my bros fast 07 Civic windows.

Found it:

So the entire thing can be swapped out or you can just change the solenoids?

Back