head unit supporting 280 watts front speakers?

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
my friend is looking to buy some front speakers with 280 watts. he just bought an Alpine head unit that's a pretty new model. wat are the chances of the head unit not being able to not support the speakers? cuz he said that his friend's speakers kept on dying on his clarion head unit cuz it's not supported enough.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
why not get some speakers rated for 60 rms and get a 60rms x 2 channel amp?

fyi, the amp inside the headunit makes about 22 rms...

and yes, your buddy was blowing speakers because they were underpowered and he pushed them too hard.

DarkElegance919

Reaction score
is 280watts too much for front speakers then? how many watts for front speakers then? and it's a 6th gen accord too.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
it just depends on the speaker..

also, that 280watt figure is most likely peak wattage. you need to know rms wattage. many speakers will give you a range as well, ex 20-150wrms or whatever.

but it never hurts to get an amp if you can afford it

NINaudio

Reaction score
He could put just about any speaker on there with just a head unit supplying the power. When speakers list watts, it's telling you how much they can handle. The actual power itself is coming from either your head unit or an amplifier. As far as what speakers to get, if he's just looking for cheap but decent sounding speakers, I've always preferred Pioneer and/or Polk for inexpensive setups.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
it just depends on the speaker..

also, that 280watt figure is most likely peak wattage. you need to know rms wattage. many speakers will give you a range as well, ex 20-150wrms or whatever.

but it never hurts to get an amp if you can afford it

Yeah, i don't know too many off the shelf 280 watt rms speakers. Find out what rms the speaker is. Some will advertize that much and be like 15 watts rms, some might be 60. If it's over 40 watts rms, i'd suggest and amp.

Back