Changing auto tranny oil

white beauty

Reaction score
My auto tranny oil hasnt been changed in about 3000 miles, and since im changing my engine oil tomorrow, which u guys explained to me how to do, thanks, i might as well do that also, 1-how do i do it, everything i need and where everything is located, what type of oil also. 2- should i even change it, its been about 3000 miles since the last change, does it even need it. thanks

white beauty

Reaction score
Shouldn't need changed. Change it like every 3rd oil change.

Yeah i figured it probably didnt, but since ive been driving the car hard lately, and its been shifting a little rough in the morning when its cold, i figured i might as well,

ccordex00

Reaction score
I found this http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=413831&highlight=diy+tranny+fluid
this diy is for a rsx but its the same concept for our cars

1. Raise the vehicle on a lift.
2. Drain the ATF.
3. Refill the A/T with Honda ATF-Z1.
4. Start the engine.
5. Press the brake pedal, move the shift lever to D4,
and release the brake pedal.
6. Press the accelerator pedal so the speedometer
reads 50 mph. Make sure the A/T shifts through the
first three lower gears and into 4th gear and the
torque converter locks up. Release the accelerator
pedal.
7. Press the brake pedal to stop the front wheels.
8. Move the shift lever to R, and then to N. Release
the brake pedal.
9. Repeat the shifting procedure (steps 5 through 8)
four more times.
10. Turn off the engine.
11. Drain the ATF.
12. Repeat steps 3 through 11 two more times.
13. Reinstall the drain plug with a new sealing washer.
14. Refill the A/T with Honda ATF-Z1.
This process involves 12 quarts of transmission fluid which would cost somewhere between $60-70. Add about an hour's labor charge (it's $75/hour at my dealer) and the total cost is around $140 - not bad considering the fluid has never been changed in your car. I expect you'll notice a significant improvement in the performance of your transmission.
Going forward, I would do the drain/fill (the 3 qt process) every 30k miles at the very least. I've chosen to do this every 15k.

thanks to v6p.net

simplicity

Reaction score
As a side note which I am sure you already know...use only HONDA ATF Fluid.

Do you have a 4cylinder or 6cylinder?

If you have a 6 cylinder make sure you loosen the FILL BOLT before DRAIN BOLT...just to make sure that you can fill it later...the fill bolt is pretty tough..

If you have a 4 cylinder I've heard that you can just turn the wheels and not have to lift the car to drain...and then just fill thru the dipstick.

Good luck!

f23accord2000

Reaction score
hes talking about the auto ,auto v6 and 4 are both the same 3/8 wratch for drain plug and fill by the dip stick 2.5 qts honda atf easy as that ,its only 2.5 qts ,just start it up,shift turn car of and check level hondas and acura you check with the engine off ,we have a sealed pan which means you really dont even have to shift it ether it just sits on the bottom of the pan as easy as that

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
sounds good...but it's gotta be scary accelerating your car to 50mph with the front wheels in the air....

Back