Pulleys Q&A, be serious

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
okay, from what i gather...
DO NOT get any sort of Alternator pulley because i might potentially mess up your alternator

it's okay, therefore safe, to install a power steering pulley and a crank pulley?

last question: what's underdrive pulley? or are they the same thing as p/s and crank pulley?

finally...
AEM or UR?

theaccordian

Reaction score
first of all. Its not worth it, accessory pulleys are already light to begin with. Youll save a few ounces with aem pulleys....not worth it. UNderdrive pulleys underdive the accesory pullies, spin them less, so you supposedly gain more whp, also the crank pulley is much lighter than stock. ON v6 accord it seems tehy work fine, but on 4 bangers they arent harmonically balanced which cause vibrations. Also I saw a tuning magazine dyno a kit on a sentra and the netted a 1 hp gain. I was very interested in pullies for a long time, but after I did my research I figured the 1-2 hp gain isnt worth maybe shortening the life of my engine or having my accesories underdriven.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
there are some cars that benefit from lighter and smaller pullies, but the accord is not one of them. cars that use the crank pulley to run the accessory belts instead of using an idler pulley off the timing belt benefit (for example). and like theaccordian said, they arent balanced becuase they have to get rid of as much weight as possible, and it would take a lot of time to duplicate the r&d honda did on engine harmonics and nvh.

and just a side note, a v6 engine, no matter the manufacturer, is inherently unbalanced. thats why theyre kind of rough sounding at certain rpms, and why inline engines are so smooth.

theaccordian

Reaction score
just remove your power stering belt, youll feel the same gains, and youre arms be ripped after pulling that 3,000 pound hog around.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
theaccordian said:
just remove your power stering belt, youll feel the same gains, and youre arms be ripped after pulling that 3,000 pound hog around.

try it with a 91 continental like i had to do for a month, hahaha, thats fun :) and i left the pump on still, and its even harder then, haha.

Back