car shakes when i let OFF gas

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
this happens through almost all the gears except for first. I'll accelerate (hard or soft) and when let off the gas, my car starts to rock back and forth. this is a pain in the *** when i'm driving in traffic. there is nothing wrong with my motor mounts and everytime i ask a question like this i get tossed the "check the motor mounts" or "you're a dumb *** for driving around with broken motor mounts". can someone please tell me how to correct this? its not the idle either.

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
well i know that...but you know when your going slow speeds (1-5mph) my car still shakes. while i'm going a steady 1-5mph, my car shakes a little. after i let off the gas, the car rocks back and forth. its really annoying when i drive to school and stuff in the bumper to bumper traffic. there MUST be something i could do to fix it.

and no there is no sounds or vibration when this happens. the car just all of a sudden looses momentum, then rocks back and forth.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
it sounds like something in the clutch, maybe a spring or the tob is bad. how new is your clutch?

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
yeah thats what i thought too, cause my clutch is starting to slip alot. i bought the car with around 73,xxx miles and it has roughly 80k miles on it right now. i'm guessing that the car has the factory clutch and the previous owner sucked dick at driving stick. would i have to just change the clutch plate? should i take it to the dealer to get it checked up on?

Jxi8s2k

Reaction score
also, when i depress the cluth it sqeeks. should i just loob up the rocker arm?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
it depends on where its squeeking from. it might be the pivot itself, in which case yes, do that. it might be the clutch itself making the sound, but i cant tell because im here and youre there :D. but, with your mileage, there is a very good chance that is the factory clutch, and if its slipping, it could be the clutch suface is worn, or the pressure plate has lost its "pressure" lol. if the clutch is worn, it will make the shifts feel out of sync. if its the pressure plate, the clutch wont be able to hold any power, causing it to slip. in any case, they should be replaced at the same time. i say take it to a shop, and get someone to tell you whats going on for sure. then, you can decide if you want to diy or get a pro to replace it.

angelplus

Reaction score
actually, my buddy's bmw 545 just had that problem, from about 5 - 10mph it would shake like crazy, and first off i thought that he was a bad shifter, but then he took it in for serivce and got something fixed.. so proly your clutch

Back