Sony Xplod Amp died?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
First off, my setup:
2 Pioneer subs
1 Sony Xplod 1200W amp
1 1.5 Farad Capacitor
1 Sony Head unit

On the way back from class today, I turned my radio on, and the subs were working fine in my car. Then, a good song came on, and I wanted to blast my subs. The sub level ranges from -10 to +10 on my head unit. I was on -4 before and I put it on +4. I've done this many times in the past with no problem (never went past +5 though.) All of a sudden my subs just stop working. No sound or anything of anything blowing (or maybe I didn't hear it, my windows were rolled down and my exhaust is loud, plus the music was still running). I restarted my head unit and it still wasn't working.

So I finally make it to my garage and immediately noticed that my capacitor wasn't displaying a voltage as it always does. It was off. I pulled my sub out to see my amp. I made sure that the ground and 12V connections were still on on my amp, and they were all on. I tightened them just to make sure. Everything was set up properly. I turned my headunit on again and I went to the back and noticed that my amp was working. Normally there's a huge blue LED light that lights up when the amp is on but it wasn't on. I checked both fuses on the amp (there's only two) and they're both fine.

Does this mean my amp is toast? I don't have another amp to test my wiring or subs, but I'm pretty sure it's the amp because my capacitor is directly connected to the ground and 12V slots of my amp, and the capacitor isn't working either. One way I have yet to try is to plug my cap to my battery, to make sure that it isn't the cap that's broken. If the cap gives a voltage reading when I connect it to the battery, but not the amp, then it's definitely the amp that's dead. Do amps just die like that? Can anyone recommend a good replacement amp that's cheap and will do the job? I got it from Best Buy but I don't have a receipt, and the box doesn't have any warranty cards or anything in it.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
you have your capacitor getting power off of the amp? shouldnt the cap be getting power from the battery then send it to the amp??

thats kinda what happens to sony car audio stuff.... lol

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Either way, I have a wire running from my battery to my amp for the 12V for both 12V and ground, so it's just more convenient to connect my cap to the amp because it's ultimately getting current from the battery. I initially charged the cap using a resistor when I first got it and then it got fully charged by connecting it to the battery via the amp.

I wonder if I can call Sony and see what they say. Otherwise I can either just get another amp, say goodbye to subwoofer setup, or go all out and get a completely new system, Kicker perhaps. A lot of choices.

TDotCord

Reaction score
Sounds like a loose wire to me. When your amp "died" was do you know if it was still powered? as in getting 12v...and was the remote turn on wire getting 12? but just an FYI...Sony Xplods...do tend to eXplode.

stupidaznmunkey

Reaction score
Either way, I have a wire running from my battery to my amp for the 12V for both 12V and ground, so it's just more convenient to connect my cap to the amp because it's ultimately getting current from the battery. I initially charged the cap using a resistor when I first got it and then it got fully charged by connecting it to the battery via the amp.

I wonder if I can call Sony and see what they say. Otherwise I can either just get another amp, say goodbye to subwoofer setup, or go all out and get a completely new system, Kicker perhaps. A lot of choices.
i had a sony xplode for awhile

they SUCK A$$. it would short out if i played it too loud, was unstable at 4 ohms...i vow never to buy a sony amp. they have bad ratings too.

you are best off getting another amp...your subs should be fine though - i think its just your cap thats toast. try connecting battery -> amp

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
check your inline fuse on the +12v wire. replace it...dont just look at it.

and of course disconnect your battery first :thumbup:

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
i dont know how much of an option this is, but i have a Clairion 600W Amp just gathering dust, if you choose to replace your amp and possibly run a pair of 600W i would sell you mine for dirt cheap. just throwin it out there i hope you get it resolved either way

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Yeah I'm still researching this because on my way to work today it was working again all of a sudden. Then once the big bass came in for just 3 seconds the amp died out again. I'll try everything you guys said.

About that Clarion 600W Amp, pm'd. Thanks for the offer.

stupidaznmunkey

Reaction score
Yeah I'm still researching this because on my way to work today it was working again all of a sudden. Then once the big bass came in for just 3 seconds the amp died out again. I'll try everything you guys said.

About that Clarion 600W Amp, pm'd. Thanks for the offer.
the sony xplode is really sensitive, turn down your gain...alot - and then try runnin' it again :)

Back