Weight transfer and balance

accordfiber

Reaction score
Hi, i need some idea about weight transfer and balance. I have put a carbon fiber trunk and some parts and now i feel like the handling is not very good in turns at moderate or high speed. It handles better when there is two persons sitting in the rear seats!!

WhiteAccord

Banned
Reaction score
Welll if you think about it, you decresed you load (weight), causing less pressure on your tires = less grip. Having all that carbon isnt that great unless you have a badass suspension to keep your car gripped to the road.

Whats your suspension setup?

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
less pressure may mean less grip...but lighter cars have less g forces put on them in turns...meaning they don't need as much grip...and yea...whats the suspension setup...i doubt its the weight that is causing this...maybe you are just more comfortable driving with weight in the back...esp since a weight reduction isn't about any 1 part saving 20lbs...it's about saving 20-30lbs a lot of times...requiring alot more than just one part being lighter...

also if you have coilovers like omni's or ksports etc you can cornerweight the car which makes weight transfer way smoother meaning you can go alot faster....

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think its all in your head and your personal feel for driving.

Me - CF hood, Trunk, nothing in the trunk. Dropped about 2.5in, my suspension is pretty stiff even on full soft. Only once have I felt my car start to rotate on me recently in the rain but I think even that was my imagination.

accordfiber

Reaction score
OK, i have the Eibach sportline. I don't have great tires too. Nankang NSII.
I thought about relocating my red optima battery to the rear and adding a yellow top to the rear too but putting them near the back seats. Because if you think about that all the weight is in the front with the motor.

I have also two amplifier Hifonics (zx1000d and zx7500)near the back seats with a 35 lb 10 inch Orion subwoofer + box.

It's just that last week i was transporting some woods(near 80-100lb in the rear seat and found out that the steering response was a lot better.

accordfiber

Reaction score
Yes, i think upgrading my suspension with real coilover will help a lot.
Thankx

accordfiber

Reaction score
Yes, that's true, but that's even worse with the AC on and my muffler tip on, it's ridiculous....

But with the DC header, CAI and muffler with no tip, it's a lot better than stock.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I think some of you guys are crazy. The 30* difference in temperature from midday to midnight is going to effect your horsepower about as much adding a cold air intake.

As for the truck lid causing handling problems, what 'other parts' did you change at the same time? My accord is my DD, so some days I have a few hundred pounds in the trunk, and some days it is empty. It handles pretty consistently regardless, and I don't drive it nice at all (I hit ABS activation on a daily basis, and corners are almost always navigated with a slip angle).

Back