Amp/Subwoofer/Wiring Question

TeeJ

Reaction score
How can i tell if there is a problem with my subs verses my amp or if its the wiring......My subwoofers seem to stop working and start working randomly....it makes no difference how hard they are hitting, or how loud i have them....They will stop working and then come back on randomly. Has anyone ever had a problem similar to this? I am running a 500/1 JL Amp (Brand New) And 2 MTX Thunder Subwoofers (new). They ran great for the first couple months, but the last month I seem to be having more problems with them.

nexTOme

Reaction score
randomly? i'd check ground point of the amp/cap(if you have one)

if all your wiring is good, then next is amp and sub...you can try to hook up different amp to it. process of elimination? GL bro

shavedaccord

Reaction score
JL's have warning lights I think..read the manual on the amp if you have one if not look it up on line. Also check your grounds they are usually the first problem for anyone.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
check all connections everywhere...its probably just a loose wire.

if it were the amp and it went into protection, it would stay off for a period of time (most have a built in minimum time). it wouldnt just go on and off.

I4 CG5

Reaction score
Disconnect all of the wires, make sure they are clean and make good contact, then reconnect them (this includes the fuses). If its not the ground check the remote turn on wire. When this happened to me with my old Orion amp, it was just the ground. Good luck and hope its not something internal with the amp

TeeJ

Reaction score
Thanks! I hope its a simple as the ground wire :) Would it be a "faulty" ground wire or just a loose one...

Last edited:

dynasty

Reaction score
if your amp light won't turn on, then something with your amp. if your amp is on, and your subs not working, then your wiring to the subs OR your subs is messed up.

nexTOme

Reaction score
if your amp light won't turn on, then something with your amp. if your amp is on, and your subs not working, then your wiring to the subs OR your subs is messed up.

if your power wire is not working right, meaning there is no power to amp, amp could have no light and be perfectly fine.

TeeJ

Reaction score
Whenever I have a subwoofer cut out, I always thought its the amp, so I check it first, and it always has its green light on, So I assume the amp is fine now.....Also, can anyone tell me what a bad smell could be when the subs hit hard for a while?

Last edited:
Back