Big stereo install questions?

98accordEX

Reaction score
Planning to install a bunch of components to system and would appreciate any advice/comments:

First of all I will list what I have installed already:

Sony Explod HU CDX-GT510
MB Quart Tweeters in Dash
Pioneer 6.5's in front
Pioneer 6x9s in rear

Now what I want to install: (98 Accord V6 EX)

5 Gauge wiring kit
Phoenix Gold XS 2200 2 channel amp:
SDAT 12" 500 max watts dual 4 ohm subwoofer in vented custom box
Soundstream Rubicon 404 4 channel amp w/ Hawkins Bass Control and many crossover dials
Coustic XM-3 3 Way Electronic Crossover

Questions:

1. My MB Quart tweeters are in my dash and I don't want to move them if I don't have to...so what would be the best way to hook these up?
I do not have a passive crossover for between my mids and tweeters only bass blockers...is this a bad way to go? Would wiring to the tweeters require the dash to be removed...difficult?
2. Should I utilize both of these amps?
3. Should the Coustic crossover be used? for both amps, 1 amp (PG XS2200), or not at all
4. As my sub is dual coil at 4ohm and the Phoenix Gold 2 channel amp is 2 ohm stable, can I wire this to the sub to make it 2ohms?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

I4 CG5

Reaction score
I would recommend getting a bigger power wire to run both of the amps. Personally, I have 0 gauge split to two 4 gauges in the truck via a fused distribution block, works pretty well (but kind of exensive @ $5/foot).
Are the tweeters in the stock location in the dash? From what I have heard, this is not the ideal location since it bounces off the windshield. When I first got my Accord I put my tweeters in the door panels (I cut a hole) and I think it sounds good, but I never listened to them in the dash because I was too lazy to put them there so I don't know if it would be hard to remove them. Just a thought
A full component set would sound better than mismatched tweeters w/bass blocker and speakers. Plus, they would come with a crossover that is matched to the mid bass and tweater.
When you say utilize both of the amps, do you just mean use them? Obviously speakers wired to an amp will sound better than them just running off the HU's internal amp.
Yes you can wire your DVC 4ohm into 2 ohm. Just follow the diagram here http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/amps/?helpid=58 (second one down)
Hope that helps and GL on the install :thumbsup:

98accordEX

Reaction score
Yea this is kinda a budget system so I think the 5 gauge is going to have to do....what brand has a good price and quality for power wiring?

Tweeters are in stock location in dash and easy to remove but I would rather just wire them in there...I was wondering if it should be easy to wire them in that location or not.

U are right about the component system but I am just trying to work with what I have for now.

Yes I do mean use both amps...as opposed to just the 4 channel powering my fronts and sub and leaving the HU to power rears or something like that...but yes I will use both amps.
Thank you for all the info.

Anyone else with some expertise?

98accordEX

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I finally got everything installed, but I am having problems. My install is this:

Sony Xplod HU
Soundstream Rubicon 404 4 channel amp powering 4 speakers + tweets
Phoenix Gold XS 2200 2 channel amp
Pioneer 3 ways
MB Quart Tweeters in dash

So I have a 5 ga wire distribued to two 9 ga to both amps. I have the remote wire ran and then spliced and ran to both amps. I have two RCA's ran together on opposite side of power cable. I split one RCA for the 4 channel amp. And use the other RCA for my PG to power sub.
Also, I wired the speaker wire to the dash leads for the front speakers. And, I wired the speaker wire straight to the 6x9s in back. The system sounds really good when its going right but I have ran into some problems.

Problems:

My main problem is this. When I have both amps going, the component speakers are periodically cracking and making bad sounds. Seems like especially when I am driving and going over bumbs. So, I disconnected my phoenix gold amp RCA and for the most part the cracking went away although when going over speed bumps it still happens a bit. So, it seems like the RCAS are possibly interfering with another. Can anyone try to explain why this might be happening and what can be done about it. Also, I do have the 2 amps grounded to the same spot but I do not think that is a problem as both amps stay on.

My 4 channel amp seems to be staying on when car is turned off. I got in my car last night and when I put the key in I heard a little whining...so I the amp didn't turn off. Can anyone explain how I might need to wire this so that this does not happen. I simply wired remote from deck, split it and ran to amps.

My MB quart tweeters in dash are screaming and a bit too loud. Can anyone try to explain to me how I might be able to fine tune my system to tone down my tweeters...I assume that the best way would be to run speaker wire straight to speaker and then straight to tweets via a crossover.
I don't want to have to deal with all that if I don't have to though.

Finally, I have a slight whine when car is on. Can anyone give suggestions on to help this.

Thanks guys,
Peter

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
partsexpress.com ftw on connectors / terminals / wiring etc

i'd go w/ 2 gauge or better

and replace that head unit asap haha (sorry, had to say it)

98accordEX

Reaction score
partsexpress.com ftw on connectors / terminals / wiring etc

i'd go w/ 2 gauge or better

and replace that head unit asap haha (sorry, had to say it)

My Pioneer 6800 got ripped off so I am using this Sony HU that i got for $20.
I don't think that causes all these problems... nor the gauge wiring nor the connectors/terminals.. I dunno...thanks but no thanks man..its kind of annoying that you gave such a generic answer to multiple specific questions regarding the equipment that I already have

Back