Rotors

phataccord

Reaction score
i just purchased a set of bembo drilled/slotted rotors and was wondering if anybody on here installed any before? i need some advice before i decide weather or not if i should do it myself or take it to a shop..thankss.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on if you have the tools to do the install, if you dont, just take it somewhere.

What you'll need:

C-clamp
15 & 17mm sockets/ratchet
Grease - for caliper bolts
Antiseize - i recommend for when you reinstall the rotor screws
Hammer - beating off old rotors
Wire coat hanger or similar - holding caliper
WD40 or PB Blaster
Torch
Impact Drivera and a philips screwdriver
Brake Cleaner

Basically it goes like this-

Jack up car, remove wheels, remove caliper and bracket and use the coat hanger to hang caliper from the suspension or something so you dont break/stretch the brake lines. Now the fun part, getting those little screws out. Sometimes they come right out, sometimes they need a little persuasion. Spray those suckers down w/ the WD40 or PB blaster. Try the screwdriver first but dont strip the threads if it wont budge. Bust out the torch and heat em up real nice, put the flame directly over the screw and work a circular motion around it. Get your hammer and impact driver. If you've never used one of these it works like this..

Put the impact driver w/ the philips head on the screw, hold on tight, hit it as hard as you can w/ the hammer. The impact of the hammer, the driver, lubricant, and heat will work the screw loose. If they're in there good n tight it will take awhile. Once you see it starting to turn use your normal screw driver to finish. Put some antiseize on the threads before you reinstall them w/ the new rotors.

Pull the old rotors off, put the new ones one, spray them w/ brake cleaner and wipe them down. Install pads to caliper bracket, install bracket, remove cap on brake fluid resevoir, use c-clamp to push piston back into caliper. Reinstall caliper w/ new grease on the bolts, remember the one w/ the black tip goes on top.

Same thing for the other side. Make sure you put cap back on the brake fluid resevoir when your done and torque your wheels to 80ftlbs. Pump the brakes a few times before heading out and drive easy the first 500 miles.

klee

Reaction score
phataccord said:
i just purchased a set of bembo drilled/slotted rotors and was wondering if anybody on here installed any before? i need some advice before i decide weather or not if i should do it myself or take it to a shop..thankss.

They are pretty easy to install.
-Jack up car, take off the wheels
-remove the lower and upper 12mm bolts on the caliper, move it to one side, careful with the brake line. I used an old wire coat hanger to hang off to the side
-use an impact screwdriver and remove the two screws holding in the rotor. It should just pop right off. If not, use the same size bolts to twist the rotor off or use a rubber mallet/piece of wood and hammer
Reverse the install for the new rotors. Probably took me about an hour for the fronts.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
BlkCurrantKord said:
beating off old rotors
LOL ive got a dirty mind

just to add a couple things: clean, clean, clean. when everythings disassembled clean everything you can including the bolts, bolts holes, etc so everything goes together easily. its better to take 10 minutes to clean bolt threads than to say "why wont this caliper bolt go back in???" for 2 hours (personal experience, but it was a friend of mine).

brake cleaner is your best friend. rotors come with this coating stuff, and you need to make sure it comes off before the rotors go on the car. just watch your eyes and your paint. one of my friends held the can wrong and sprayed it in his eye.

what does brembo recommend for bedding new rotors with old pads (assuming youre using old pads)? some companies want you to drive easy, and some want you to do at least 4 stops from 80--that type of thing. i dont know what they recommend, so im going to sound like a dumba$$ about bedding with old pads.

oh yeah, one more quick tip: if possible, use a jackstand on both sides of the car and take off both front wheels at the same time. then, you can turn the steering wheel if cant get at the caliper bolts. dont want to bemean you if you know this already but some overlook it:rolleyes: good luck, and especailly good luck with the rotor screws--they are a royal b!tch sometimes.

phataccord

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the advice guyss... i appreciate it alot..looks like imma be havin some fun this weekend..haha

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if you break those 2 little screws that hold the rotor on, its not biggie, i dont have mine. theyre just there to keep the rotor on when you take a wheel off, but as soon as you put a wheel back on all tight and w/e, they stick in the posistion that theyre supossed to be in, you still even have to give it a knock to get the rotor loose. when i do my rotors (hopefully this year, with pads too) im gonna go with powerslot rotors. good luck with the install man, and dont forget pics;)

klee

Reaction score
retroshark said:
im pretty sure brembo dont make drilled and slotted rotors... but im not sure
They make them. I have the slotted ones and I've also seen cross drilled and dimpled rotors.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
i thought the cross-drilled ones weren't authentic either... like an ebay thing where people bought slotted brembos and drilled them or something. but that was all secondhand information so it's not reliable at all

klee

Reaction score
Wildman said:
i thought the cross-drilled ones weren't authentic either... like an ebay thing where people bought slotted brembos and drilled them or something. but that was all secondhand information so it's not reliable at all

That's also true as well. Regardless, stay away from the cross drilled ones. Slotted or dimpled is good enough.

Back