Just bought a 98 accord coupe v6 - New here

Hindra

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought a 1998 coupe v6, I'll get pics soon. Its pretty nice(even though it has 170k miles) everything seems to have been taken care of very well. He didnt do anything performance wise to it, but he did put a 2002 auto trans in because he kept having problems with prior years. Ive been reading the forum for about a week or so, but from about 7am-930pm mon-fri I dont have any time to actually search, so I have searched as much as I can on the weekends.

I am new to Hondas, Ive had Mustangs, lowered F-150s, Eagle Talon Tsis, and I currently own a 1986 944 Turbo Porsche and this Accord.

All the engine and chassy codes are new to me, and what will swap with what on these cars are amaizing. Also, I dont know what you guys mean by i/h/e/p/tp. I assume Intake, Header, Exhaust, P?, Throttle Plate(spacer)?

Its my daily driver so Im not going for big numbers, thats what my Porsche is for. I am a fabricator/welder(mainly with aluminum) and my brother is a CNC machinist, so some of the stuff we we making on our own.

I am planning on the following mods.
Intake:
Pipe & Filter w/ heat shield
bigger throttle body w/ spacer
manifold (any quick and easy bolt on upgrades?)

Head:
Mill for compression
valves, springs, retainers
cams
port/polish

Exhaust:
Header back to exhaust tip
I know a lot of power can be made from the header and I was just curious if anyone else has had any experience with making one for this car, or which aftermarket makes the most power? The rest of the exhaust I can handle myself.

I plan on leaving the 2002 auto trans in, as its my daily driver. I was just curious if anyone can suggest some brand names and ideas?

Thanks for all the help everyone, oh by the way, I also own a Honda Quad, and a Honda F4i bike(thats not stock at all) :)

kconn

Reaction score
wait wait wait .... you have a Porsche and u bought an accord!?

thats not riight :(

LMAO

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
hmm CNC you say? Wonder if members would want a group buy for something that you could make like sill plates or something. idk. welcome.

And i thought that you really don't see much gains from headers on our cars. Guys? :thinking:

Hindra

Reaction score
If the aftermarket headers are not much better then stock then Honda did a pretty good job on tuning the stock ones to the motor. Thats fine..just less work for me :)

I was also thinking about advancing the timing and reprogramming the ECU last. My Porsche is a 1986 944 Turbo, with 98k miles on it. Its mostly stock for now..sitting in my garage waiting on new fuel injectors so I can turn up some boost :)

I live in WA, and my brother lives in KS. If you need anything machined let me know. You can Email me at [email protected].

Here are some pics...(waiting for my phone to finish sending them to my email, gonna put girls to bed)

l_50f2f8da6fc57753fe92b3df7621c6ea.jpg

I still need to wash it... but I cleaned the rims

l_5b4a0778dd6a1cd8cb6048905ae9abd3.jpg

Im also going to take off each rim, and clean them very well, and paint the calipers/rotors.

Hindra

Reaction score
Oh hey, also before I go to bed... What is the best head to work with? Are there any heads I can swap onto this motor? I read I could use the cams from the Acura 3.2L motors, but are there any better flowing heads out there? My car has 170k miles so I will leave it NA. When it comes to rebuilding I may go with boost, but for now I just want to get rid of the cars asthma!

PROJECT H

Reaction score
you can probably use something from the oddyssey lol but im not sure..

check out V6Performance.net (theres alot of v6 6thgens and alot of info there too)

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
The more you look into it, the more discouraged you will get.

Everything for this car costs loads of money and what you get out is not worth it. If you are willing to drop that amount of cash then go for it.

Hindra

Reaction score
hmm....thats not what I wanted to hear..but I see what your saying. My brother and I can make a lot of our own stuff though, so if that can save some money..but if your saying that the motor doesnt take well to mods anyway, then I dont want to waste my time. Thanks guys. Maybe thats why he didnt do anything to increase the performance lol

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
The motor is built for economy gas mileage. It wont respond very well to mods at all. The best mods would probably be headers and Crank pulley. Headers on the 4 banger are good from factory but the V6's do see gain whether its Comptech or knockoff brands. Those two mods are the best reported mods to be done.

Back