Trans problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NINaudio

Reaction score
Well, I too am having problems with my auto trans. It is slipping when cold, and the slipping has been getting worse. Honda says I need a new trans. I've been quoted a price of about $1400 installed for a rebuilt trans. I'm at a loss for what to do..... :(

Assuming I had about $1500 for a trans, what would be my best option? Replace the auto? Swap in a manual (would I have enough money to do that)? Just buy a new car (I wish)? I'm at a complete loss for ideas here, and I don't really have much in the way of money either.... any help would be great!

ryon527

Reaction score
I'm getting paranoid about mine lately. I think its getting worse and I'm actually thinking of not lowering the car because I don't want to give them a reason to make me pay for the trans. What year is your car? I got a letter for the extended warranty.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
believe me george i know how it feels.

mine went all at once. apparently the output speed sensor malfunctioned and burned out all of the solenoids in the transmission. yay honda.

i went to aamco, it was going to be $1400 instead of $3400 at honda, but that was before they saw that all the solenoids were toast along with the tq convertor, so it cost me $2800 last week.

aamco did treat me well though, so i would say look into them although i'm guessing that's where your $1400 quote is coming from. a manual swap (this is a complete guess) would probably be around $2k. wonder if your cruise would still work

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
ryon527 said:
I'm actually thinking of not lowering the car because I don't want to give them a reason to make me pay for the trans

hahaha. when i called honda of america to see if they'd help with the bill, they said my sri (which they called a cai) classified as "extensive drivetrain modifications" and they wouldn't help at all. i was so pissed. especially after I told them that they're own dealer said the output speed sensor failure is what caused the problem (one of the parts that's been recalled on other accords), and that it had nothing to do with anything else

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
because i drove it to the honda garage like that, they told me what the problem was (speed sensor), then I called honda of america to see if they'd at least covered their parts that failed. they said they'd get back to me, and called the garage, and then me back, and used my intake as a lame *** excuse to dodge the bullet.

ryon527

Reaction score
yea I can't wait. "well sir your retrofit caused the transmission to fail therefore you're not covered."

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know the tranny will slip some when its cold, thats why they advise that you not floor it until your car has warmed up some. But nevertheless, if its slipping that bad, replace it or rebuild it.

For $1500 you could go manual or swap in another auto, its your choice at that point.

HandoEX

Reaction score
NINaudio, I know precisely how you feel as I am in the exact same situation. My tranny slips when it is cold and after it warms up, the slipping fades away. I am strongly considering a manual tranny swap. I posted a thread about the swap a few days ago and it looks like (in my case atleast) the parts will run about $1300-$1500 and install about $800-$900. So basically, I can spend $2100-$2400 for a manual and get a solid tranny that is fun to drive or I can spend the same and get a auto tranny that is notorious for breaking that will leave me worried at all times.
The swap is atleast something to consider.
Check www.car-parts.com for pricing on used 5 speed trannies. They are crazy cheap:) I put the parts list needed for the swap in the thread I posted a couple of days ago if you are interested. Good luck!!!

acrod99

Reaction score
Everybody needs to stop freakin me out about my a/t! Geez!

j/k-good luck, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back