02 Auto Transmission Problem?

sparkylawdog

Reaction score
I purchased a 02 Accord coupe 4 cyl with an auto transmission about 2 years ago for my daughter. It had about 85k on it at the time. First thing I did when I got it was to replace the transmission fluid with Honda tranny fluid. It has about 98K on it now, and just recently, I noticed that when you first start driving the car, coming to a stop, it seems the transmission has a hard time downshifting into first gear. It almost seems to slam out of gear. The next time you stop, it's a little less severe, and the third time even less. Eventually it's hardly noticeable at all. Other than this, the transmission seems to shift fine, and no idiot lights have come on.

Could it be something other than the tranny?

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
chances of it being the transmission even after swapping fluid and taking good care of it, are good but it doesn't mean it is your transmission. it could be a cynlinder missfire, it could be the ECU not telling the car to downshift properly. i would try coming to a stop in neutral and see what it does. if it is fine and down shifts out then its probably the transmission going out. on these cars the D4 light will blink when you first turn the car on if there is a transmission issue. (usually). you might try those couple of things and see if the D4 light blinks and also just take notice to anything else that happens while accelerating as well:peace:.

sparkylawdog

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on the idiot lights when I start the car for any lights that don't normally come on, but haven't seen any. I will give the coming to a stop in neutral thing a try. I've also been careful to take notice when driving the car to see if there's a problem upshifting, but haven't noticed anything. Seems to shift pretty smoothly.

JMRodriguez112

Reaction score
Did you ever find out what the problem was? I'm having this same issue with my 98 and I'm praying its not the transmission going because I don't wanna have to spend the money to fix that.. Smh

jwong512

Reaction score
Do you usually warm up your car before you drive? If not, it'll shift very harshly, especially downshifts. I would get an OBD2 scanner and scan your car for any hidden transmission codes that don't show up on your gauges. Hopefully it's just the pressure sensor going out and that should be an easy fix.

JMRodriguez112

Reaction score
I actually just spoke to my mechanic and he asked the same thing.. "do you let the car warm up or just drive off?" Lol he also told me that the transmission should be good it just needs to be serviced because the fluid seemed too thin and he was gonna check some fuse or something not really sure what he was talking about there but theres two of them right on top of the tranny.. after I get it done ill post bck and let you guys know how it went.

frantz954

Reaction score
based on what you are saying, and my own issues i'd be willing to say your pressure/ shift solenoids could be acting up. its been happening on auto accords as far back as i can remember. not just 6 gens. cost a couple hundred bucks for the parts but its a very simple fix. definitely a diy repair if you know basic hand tools and have about 15 min. i remember my parents almost getting conned into putting in a new trans in my sister's 95 accord because their mechanic reccomended it. i changed out the solenoids and the trans was back to normal till she totalled it 20k miles later. i changed mine out as well on my 99 and same thing, back to normal.

Back