02 coupe side airbag SRS computer in 02 non side airbag car?

mxman

Reaction score
Hey all, my first post on this forum.

I did a few searches and didn't find something specific, would anybody know if there is an existing forum post for this?

I have a 02 sedan that had non powered cloth seats no side airbags, popped airbags and srs locked seatbelts, i bought a 01 or 02 coupe with heated power leather with side airbags...

I swapped the locked coupe belts over, and the airbags... i havent plugged any of it in.

I was told that there are 3 different SRS computers, 1 for side bags, 2 for non side bags...

1> are my seatbelts electrically compatible with either SRS computer?
2> airbags are universal right?
3> are the SRS computers actually different?
4> after looking in the fuse panel on the sedan's passenger side, it appears the fuses are there for the power seats, is the wiring there to plug them in?
5> if i can wire up the power portion of the seats i'll probably do that... if there are two styles of SRS computer i'll probably just neglect to plug in the side airbag wiring if that's possible (i assume there are weight and or tilt sensors built into the seats to arm/disarm the airbags)

i hope this makes sense! i appreciate any insight

LMK if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
wow, your in a game of chance...

all I can do is check out wiring diagrams, but I have no idea what the computers are thinking...

You might be in a task of crossing diagrams to then eval part #s to see what is useable, at best.

Last edited:

mxman

Reaction score
Definitely, i'm not afraid of wiring diagrams, i grabbed the fsm that's online thanks to somebody on here no doubt...1600 pages.. lol

I talked to a wrecker and they mentioned there were 3 possible srs comptuers for the 02's... not sure how definitive that is

Are there any other sensors i need to change before replacing a computer? should i be replacing the impact sensors as well? i'd hate to have all new components (bags, computer etc) then plug the srs computer in and have it blow due to sensors... lol

xci.ed6

Reaction score
sensors *should* work...

I'd run through the FSM testing, for everything, at the SRS comp plug.

Then I'd disconnect the battery, hook it all up, then reconnect battery -WITH NO ONE IN THE CAR- so your far enough away, *if* something detonates.

goldenchamp

Reaction score
Airbags are one of those things I hate messing around with. The battery has to be DRAINED before you mess around with those, which usually takes on the order of 5 minutes.

FYI, the side airbags in the 6GA have a pressure sensor that senses if someone leans too hard on the seat bolster. This shuts of the side airbags to avoid injury. This is a good way to test if the side airbag SRS computer has been hooked up properly. If the side airbag shuts off during the car's startup check, lean on the bolster for a few seconds. The side airbag light should come back on.

Hope this helps!

Back