14 volt upgrade

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Has any 1 tried or ever ran a 14 volt battery?

N what r the pros n cons?

I'm workin on a system in my car & every thing dims when the bass hits.
Can the cars electrical handle 14 w/o major mods?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
No it can't.

Get better grounds, do the the big three upgrade. Get better terminals. Thicker wiring. Get a capacitor. Get a second battery specifically for sound. Those are basically your options

Chris Vu

Reaction score
If you want to solve your issue, get a sufficient battery capacity to dedicate to the audio system, and use the correct type of battery, then finish it off with a bigger alternator .. 14 volt batteries wont do it for you.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
I have the 00 big 3 n a 1 frad cap so i guess next would b a battery in the trunk def a dry cell
Cool thanx

Akingkhan

Reaction score
The reason i was thinking 14 was cuz the cars alternator charges @ 14.4 doesn't it?

Chris Vu

Reaction score
The alternator charges at 14 volts in order to sufficiently charge the battery .. With the car off, you should have a reading of 12 volts regardless. I'd assume that if you were to charge the battery at 12 volts, the car would eventually die while driving it because it wouldn't be getting a sufficient enough charge to power everything .. who knows ..

lashlee

Reaction score
Has any 1 tried or ever ran a 14 volt battery?

N what r the pros n cons?

I'm workin on a system in my car & every thing dims when the bass hits.
Can the cars electrical handle 14 w/o major mods?

The car can handle 14v like others have noted but much over 15v will cause havoc with the OEM electrical systems. I had a customer a few years ago that was having some issues after we just installed a Sony radio. After some digging we found the alternator was putting out 15.5v to 16v! The excess voltage was causing the radio to shut down and eventually fried the brain of the car. Thankfully the dealer was local and took care of the customer and replaced it under warranty.

Will this happen to your Accord simply by swapping to a different battery? Probably not but I would be careful when it comes to modifying the charging system. I have two batteries, three amps, and all of the extras that go along with it and still have the original OEM alternator powering it, with 230k miles on it. The best advice is to never listen to the radio with the motor not running. Lowering the static voltage of the battery will lead to diminished capacity of the battery and the alternator will be forced to overwork to try to charge the battery causing the alternator to fail prematurely.

gt58

Reaction score
are you on stock alt and stock front batt? first, check your grounds. make sure all paint is sanded away to make a strong connection. i would ditch the cap, it puts unnecessary strain on the alternator and battery. check the grounds on your big 3, again, make sure the grounds are solid.

IMG_20120720_183305.jpg

as far as the battery in the back, make sure your front battery is in good health. remember, your system is as strong as the weakest link (being the front battery if bad) you can get it checked out at any auto parts store.

how many watts RMS are you pushing? have you clamped your amp?

Akingkhan

Reaction score
My system is 400 watts lol

I have 2 zapco amps a 4X50 n a 2X100 it's not a whole lot but I still need more power

Back