2000 Accord F23 Auto to J30A4 6MT Swap Or F23 Rebuild Help & Opinions Please

Reaction score
Hey guys and/or girls I'm brand new to this forum and was hoping I could have some help compiling mainly a list I guess along with public opinions from fellow 6th gen Accord owners.
Well my car as it sits is a factory white 2000 Accord 4DR it has the original F23A1 that it was built with (it's only ever had a timing belt replacement, and valve cover gasket... was told it was rebuilt a couple years ago but the exhaust bolts and all original looking parts plus the cars treatment by the previous 2 owners I've seen makes me seriously doubt it) and the original 4 speed auto transmission that came with the car as well and they're both sitting on 370,060 miles...car is in near perfect condition for its mileage/age, and the tramsmission works near perfect but every now and then shifting from 2nd to 3rd takes maybe twice as long as the other shifts (not sure if this is an intentional honda thing for reliability or just an old tranny any help on that would be great too) well like I said everything is great except for the most crucial piece, my engine, technically speaking the engine runs fine, but not how it's intended and not for what I want necessarily ...I have a flashing CEL and my OBD2 tells me I have a cylinder 3 misfire well I've replaced the plugs, plug seals in the cover, wires, distributor, fuel injectors, checked vacuum, and the head gasket is fine, I also cleaned some badly clogged EGR ports that weren't throwing a code anyways but you never know, well that has ran me completely ran me out of options it's literally a continuous misfire which actually sounds good since it resembles a cam sound , but in all seriousness I believe it's either a burnt valve or bad rings so sorry for my long long post but here's my options I'm considering because I'm looking for something I can drive daily and it be reliable but also wax a turbo civic when I need it to theres a wicked B18 turbo hatch in my area that eats mustangs and I would like to compete so here goes...
#1 -Buy a used F23A1 cheap from a wrecked car or online and put it in my car (definitely the fastest option), and then do a master rebuild on the engine I pulled and use performance internals and turbo it then perform the 5 speed swap from auto and drop the built engine back in.
#2 -Buy a J30A4 engine to prepare for a drop in and source the 6 speed manual from the Acura and get the other required parts like computer, harness, mounts, etc. (This is where I need help with a list of what all will be needed to physically swap it in and get it hooked up properly and also what I need to make that new engine actually run and run like it's meant to) if this route is possible I will be using the Comp-Tech Supercharger thats good for 60hp pushing that Accord to 303hp.
......those are the 2 options I'm looking into I definitely will be swapping to a straight shift regardless but which seems more likely and cost effective mostly when it comes down to performance for the dollar I feel that the V6 is much easier to modify because the F23 has an awfully small and expensive aftermarket, plus the J30 already has an additional 95hp over the F23 ..that is also why I chose the j30A4 instead of the J30A1 that extra 43hp plus it's i-VTEC so it at least sounds cooler lol (no that's not a real reason just a plus lol) but once again everyone I'm sorry for this ridiculously long post but I wanted to fully describe my current situation and wants for fixing the engine issue while giving more to the car at the same time.
Give me opinions please on if a 6 speed manual Supercharged J30A4 would be reasonable enough to do or if a 5 Speed manual F23 turbo with rods, bearings, pistons,valvetrain, etc. upgraded (yes me and a friend will be doing this but if required we have a welder and the skills to use it, access to any tool that we need and we both have decent experience on working on other engines especially the K20Z3 engine and tranny) cost isn't "necessarily" a big thing but if it goes into a few thousand dollars for either one i will just be OEM rebuilding my current F23 thanks everyone for any support and opinions but please don't say that the F23 is a horrible engine or its stupid to turbo an F23 bc both are false any engine that can be beat on for 16 years (370,060 Mi.) and only have a misfire is a reliable engine in my book same goes for a turbo on it it's proven that it was either 6 or 7 psi can be ran safely with stock internals and that it could do 15 or so on stock but the engine is cursed with bad ring landings which will inevitably fail if not upgraded....thanks again everyone I look forward to at least 1 response, I only have a few Honda buddies in my area to talk to about my ideas, and they all just so happen to think I'm wasting my time, and that civic is the way to go but no I'm a 6th Gen Accord man...I look forward to your replies!!!

604ACCORD

Reaction score
If you want a v6 sell yours and buy a v6, swapping a v6 into a 4cyl car is going to cost a lot of money and time.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
If you did that all that than more than likely you have a stuck valve on #2. 604 is right on if you want a v6 sell your car and get a v6 cg. My advice though would be stick with buying a used f23 and 5 spd tranny and going with a turbo. F blocks can do wonders with boost especially when built. Not to mention it would be cheaper in the long run and insurance is cheaper since its a 4 cyl. family sedan.

Back