98 Accord Battery Light On and Wont Shift

kINGMA3

Reaction score
I have a 98 Accord LX Auto. When i try to start the car my Battery light stays on and no other light on my cluster. The car starts fine, i am not able to shift into any gear. My battery and alternator are good. Anyone have any ideas?

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
I have a 98 Accord LX Auto. When i try to start the car my Battery light stays on and no other light on my cluster. The car starts fine, i am not able to shift into any gear. My battery and alternator are good. Anyone have any ideas?

Someone else will have more knowledge than myself on this, but I know most autos as a rule of thumb come with a brake pedal lockout, ergo, you cannot shift from park w/o having your foot on the brake. If the solenoid (?) is toasted, your SOL, gonna need a new one. See if you can find something at a junkyard before going to Honda.

I have had a similar problem before (98 AV6 though), where it won't come out of park occasionally, battery light would come on and bam, all I could do was shut it down and wait. Something seemed to mend itself or cool off, and I haven't had any issues since I replaced the linear solenoid on the transmission, no idea if they are related unfortunately.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Check the stop/cruise switch on the brake pedal assembly. That is probably your problem, its about $40 from Honda.

Last edited:

metrick1235

Reaction score
i had a similar problem a year ago.. it ended up being the alternator bracket.. also check the fuses and switches for brake

Back