98' Accord DX ECU issues..

jimmyimmy

Reaction score
HELP!! Moving for work this week!!! NEED car running!!!!
I recently bought a 98' Accord DX with a blown F23a5 ( non-vtec ) motor, i got the car cheap and found a decent F23a1 (vtec) motor at a local scrapyard but it was out of an automatic and the harness was cut, but I bought the motor anyway and came to find out that my car's original non vtec ECU / engine wiring harness won't work with the F23a1 vtec motor. SO, I went on the hunt for another parts car like it and found a 01 EX that was beat up but it has a ULEV VTEC motor in it, the car is mangled and it would be a hell of a lot of work to get the motor out of it and I don't really want to do it, seeing how I just finished installing the F23a1 motor into my car. My questions are:
Will the ECU / engine harness from the F23a4 (ULEV VTEC) motor work for my F23a1 (VTEC) motor?
If so, is that all I will need for it to work?
Will the ECU need to be flashed for my key to work? should i grab the ignition off the ULEV VTEC car anyway?
I've seen a lot online about o2 sensor codes coming up after the car is running, but to be honest i'd just like to see the car running and i'll worry about the bugs / tweaking after.
I've put a lot of work into the car over the last few weeks, not only with the motor but the body, and suspension as well, and done so with a very small budget to work with and i would like to finish the car as cheap as possible.
Please shed some light on this for me, any information will help, thanks!

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
You'll need the A1 ecu. And your key will need to be reprogramed. The manual and auto ecu's are different so make sure you get the right one.

jimmyimmy

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that i forgot to specify that my car is manual, and the ULEV is too, but the ECU won't work you don't think eh?
I really didn't believe it would be very hard to find another car like it but apparently it is, the only one I found is that ULEV.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Yeah then you'll need the A1 manual. You can probably find one somewhere online but it could be pricey and hard to find, especially being manual.

Brad2274

Reaction score
keep an eye on craigslist and ebay, someone might list a partout or wrecked accord on craigs and thats probably the cheapest way to get it

Back