98 Accord EX Sunroof Issue

arey0723

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this in the right section since I'm pretty new to this group and cars in general. I hope that someone has experienced this issue and can help me out.

When I got the car, the sunroof worked no problem: it closed, opened, and tilted. One day, I forgot to tilt it back down and ended up opening it all the way right after. Now, it won't close all the way leaving about an inch or an inch and a half opening, but it does still open and close. I've pressed the tilt button on different occasions, but it still does nothing. Please help

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this in the right section since I'm pretty new to this group and cars in general. I hope that someone has experienced this issue and can help me out.

When I got the car, the sunroof worked no problem: it closed, opened, and tilted. One day, I forgot to tilt it back down and ended up opening it all the way right after. Now, it won't close all the way leaving about an inch or an inch and a half opening, but it does still open and close. I've pressed the tilt button on different occasions, but it still does nothing. Please help

You shouldn't have to close before opening. So where does it "park" itself when you hit the close button now? Does it try to come up to fill the hole like its supposed to or does it just stop closing an inch before the end?

arey0723

Reaction score
Sorry if this was confusing. The sunroof has 3 controls: one to open, one to close, and one to tilt up and down. I think I left it up when I opened it, and since then, it just stops closing once it gets to that inch gap. It doesn't attempt to adjust to close all the way.

james'99

Reaction score
Sorry if this was confusing. The sunroof has 3 controls: one to open, one to close, and one to tilt up and down. I think I left it up when I opened it, and since then, it just stops closing once it gets to that inch gap. It doesn't attempt to adjust to close all the way.

I want you to try to use the manual override and try it again after unplugging the battery for a few minutes. If you look on the roof panel of the car behind the sunroof, you will see a cap that looks like its for a large common (flat-head) screwdriver. I believe it just pops out. Maybe it screws out. Not totally positive. If you look in your trunk with your tire iron, there should be a tool that looks like this...

mz8HHKgGsiCiNwrTcoknYUA.jpg

This is for manually closing the sunroof. You should be able to stick it in the hole and turn it to shut the sunroof.

If you need more help, I think its also explained in the owners manual but feel free to ask here and I will see what I can do!

Back