99 Accord LX Daily

kthung

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forums. SO MUCH great info here, look forward to reading through all of it.

So a little about my ride: It is a 1999 Accord LX Sedan. I learned how to drive on this car when I got my license and drove it all throughout HS and college. Yeah its a auto, i4, beige (literally), boring-mobile and I always planned on getting something a little more exciting and fun to drive after graduation but honestly this thing has been rock. solid. One problem in the last 9 years was needing to replace the plugs distributor cap and rotor. So the plan now is to drive it till it dies (which is going to be a long time) meanwhile saving money for a new ride. Only 160k on the clock and I'm planning on learning how to pretty much take everything apart and put it together.

Plans for the car. Strictly A2B car. No performance mods. Functional mods only. Mainly things on the interior to make it more comfortable/pleasant to drive. After all dumping a bunch of money into this car would just look silly. Also I plan on doing 100% maintenance/repairs myself. I have zero experience but I'm an engineer and think I can learn pretty easily.

So starting from zero experience here's where I've done so far:
General maintenance: Oil changes, engine/cabin air filters
Replacing burnt lightbulbs in dash/clock with LEDs
Headlight/taillight bulbs
Dome light LED upgrade
Reconditioning interior (just taking apart as many of the plastic panels as I can, cleaning off the years of gunk and putting it back together, shampooing carpets, finding and fixing as many squeaks and rattles as possible)

To do:
ATF drain and fill
Replace rear power lock actuators (they don't always work, only sometimes)
Repaint side view mirrors (paint is chipping off)
Replace hood release cable (gets stuck open sometimes)
Basically fixing everything that breaks
MDX/CL-S Steering wheel
Keyless entry? maybe.
Oh yeah, windshield wiper linkage (wiper arms go past windshield)

I know it isn't much compared to what some of you guys have done, but I have to say it is a ton of fun working on the car and pride of ownership has gone way up even if it is still a beige-boring-mobile.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
If you think dumping a bunch of money into this car is silly, you're on the wrong forum. ;)

Welcome to the site.

kthung

Reaction score
Glad to see another person taking pride in their ride. We all started somewhere. Plenty of cheap DIYs under $25.
Also, check out the DIY master list. It has mods and maintenance.

Post up some pics in a week or so when it gets enabled.

Thanks, already have those links bookmarked. :thumbsup:
I'll start a thread when I get the time so everyone can see what I'm starting with.

If you think dumping a bunch of money into this car is silly, you're on the wrong forum. ;)

Welcome to the site.

I know. It's just a completely arbitrary line that I've drawn in my head, but I'm trying to keep each individual project under a couple hundred dollars. Some of the cars here I can see people have put a ton of money/time into, slammed rides, performance upgrades, repainting/reupholstering interiors, basically getting to show-car levels, which I have a ton of respect for. If I had a V6 or a coupe I think I would be tempted to do the same. I'm not saying spending money on your cars is silly, but rather if I tried to do that in my car I would look silly/borderline rice. Anyways I don't mind spending money if I'm learning about my car.

Welcome to the site.

Enjoy.

kthung

Reaction score
First parts ordered! Can't wait to get started. Can't believe how cheap the Prelude shifter and Steering wheel were. I'm pretty sure the steering wheel includes all trim pieces and the airbag. Unfortunately from what I understand the 03 TL-S has a dual stage airbag but my 99 accord has a single stage so its not compatible. Anyone have a black single stage airbag willing to trade? Are OEM airbags really worth $150-250? If so, I could be making money on this upgrade :rockit:

Wiper Arm From 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 1 $10.00
Wiper Transmission From 2001 Honda ACCORD 1 $20.00
Trans Shift Assy From 2001 Honda Prelude STD 1 $40.00
Steering Wheel From 2003 Acura TL 3.2 S 1 $35.00

Back