99 V6 won't start after new tranny installed

qball

Reaction score
Hello, I can't get a '99 Accord V6 EX to start after a rebuild transmission install. Has 144,000 miles, and I bought rebuild from Ozotive in Sacramento, installed it myself. Not the easiest thing I've ever done, but all seems ok, until ready to test it, no start. New battery, sounds normal as it cranks, but won't start. Suspicious is: key won't always come out when turned off, and gear indicator lights are funny (sometimes P and D1 are lit on dash, for example.) I have followed manual's instructions for gear switch install/adjustment. I have uncoupled the shift cable (per the instructions in Hayne's for "cable replacement/adjustment") and with shifter in "R" recoupled the cable at the tranny. I don't have any prior experience troubleshooting this, but I am following instructions. I could be way off target, but I feel like it's a shifter issue and the engine isn't sure that it should start because it's "not really in Park". Also, cranks as normal in "N", but won't start either, obviously. Thanks for any suggestions.

Enne

Reaction score
That seems plausible to me. When I installed a new neutral safety switch (also known as a backup light switch) in my automatic Prelude, I forgot to put it in position to match what the car's transmission was in. Car wouldn't start. I moved the lever to match the transmission and it started right up.

The switch prevents a car from starting unless the automatic shifter is in park or neutral. The brake pedal will also be hard if this switch is not working. When installing it, after hooking up the connectors, make sure the two tabs on the body of the switch are lined up with the arm that sticks out underneath the automatic shifter, before bolting it back into the shifter.

Robertl

Reaction score
Best way for that is put transmission in neutral than align the neutral marks on the switch

Back