Accord dying I suppose?

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
so i have a 99 honda accord ex v6 at 160k miles on original tranny and lately i been noticing some problems. it might have been there earlier but i just actually noticed it a week ago. a few days after i changed my spark plugs, i have been hearing a consistent "puff.puff.puff" sound coming from my exhaust. i thought this was the cause of a "misfire" because my plugs weren't tight enough so i went back 2x and re-torqued all 6 to manufacturer specs or 13ft lbs(although i did this when i was changing them). However, this did not help in anyway. Moreover, sometimes when i start my car, it would start quicker than usual and RPM would drop below 750 to 500 on idle, and it felt like the car is going to stall. This usually happens after the 2-3 times i crank the engine (also another reason why i thought my car was misfiring). It started happening after i changed my rear spark plugs. On the hand, I recall 2 weeks ago my coolant reservoir had completely been emptied. Now i'm assuming my head gasket is blown and that the puff sound is from the engine burning the coolant and releasing it to the exhaust? i do see white smoke from time to time. this past week has been colder than usual so i thought white smoke would be normal but now that the weather is warmer, i still see white smoke coming out the exhaust. all in all, my question is why is the exhaust making puff sounds, why does the engine sometimes drops to 500rpm on idle, and is my car going to freaking die soon? sorry about grammar, etc. thanks.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does the exhaust smell sweet? If it does...you're burning coolant. Have you noticed the engine temp getting closer to the H?

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
Out of no type of disrespect to anyone who does this but I have noticed that many new members on here post there first threads with a problem

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I highly doubt your headgasket is blown but if you're that worried about it, drain and check the oil to see if coolant is mixed in with it. Add some coolant to the radiator and resevoir and keep an eye on it. Check for leaks from hoses, etc.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
hey, while driving to six flags yesterday my car shot a cel. found out it was a p0420. ehkkkk i''ll search for forum for more info. pepboy suggested i replace my 02 sensor.

Back