Accord won't start unless doors are locked

stevenr77

Reaction score
After searching endlessly on Google, with no success, it's time to ask you guys about this weird problem.

We've had our 2000 Accord EX V6 sedan for a little more than a year. Turning the key in the ignition will not turn over the starter. To get it to start, you must lock the doors with the driver's auto door lock button, then turn the key in the ignition.

I've had no luck finding an answer to why this is necessary. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Steven

PO1nt

Reaction score
is the alarm system factory, or is it a viper/aftermarket alarm system?

PO1nt

Reaction score
when outside the car does the car honk when you lock it and does the red security lite flash ? or does the car just lock?

stevenr77

Reaction score
It honks if I press the lock button on the remote twice. The red light flashes once the car is locked.

kn0x47

Reaction score
seems like either something is wrong with the immobilizer system or your car has a kill switch installed

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
a kill switch sounds like a reasonable assumption. try probing for wires in the steering column. see if anything is unusual..non oem wiring. possibly a relay?

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a kill switch. That's a pretty good one actually. Look for a relay on the ignition wire; I'm sure you'll find one.

Back