amp to home outlet

botang47

Reaction score
i'll spare the boring details.
i am attempting to wire an amp to use inside. where could i get some sort of ac/dc converter? the only ones i see use the cigarette outlet to a standard plug, but i need to be able to use bare power and ground wires, right?
this post sounds stupider the more i read it but im really stumped :eusa_wall:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Once you start your car, your running off the alternator. Which is Alternate currant or AC. You need to get a cigarette lighter conversion so you can plug in ur amp with the car on.

Or are you trying to use a car amp inside the house? Im sort of confused, your saying you want to convert a car amp to batteries or something? Your amp will work with a 12v battery without converting anything, just use the power wire for the positive and the ground for the negetive on the batterie you use. It wont last very long though......that's why when you turn on your car, it runs off AC

Last edited:

botang47

Reaction score
i managed to hook it up using a pcu from a broken computer i had laying around. it works 100%, but i wouldnt recommend it. trust me, i had a fire extinguisher next to me when i plugged it in the outlet. everything is fine, but i dont like the idea of using 18awg wire as power and ground wires. im too lazy to put the sub in the box tonight, but tomorrow i will really put it to the test.

IMAG0016.jpg

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You better make sure and check the amperage rating and Volts from the source are not exceeding the amps rating or else you will burn up your Car amp.

botang47

Reaction score
yes its a 12v source. the fuses did not blow so i figure the amperage is alright. dont get me wrong, i did not turn the volume up high or the gain up past 1/3. i only know that the amp is not in protection mode and the sub hits. i was proud of myself and called it a night haha

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Congrats, but just be careful.

Electrons compress themselves in smaller currant passages through your amp and intensify in strength within smaller spaces where there is currant flow. Your little power supply is probably not going to harm the amp, I'd just watch for the power supply over heating while u jam out since the load(car amp) will be drawing more power/longer than the power supply was designed for.

Last edited:

botang47

Reaction score
the load(car amp) will be drawing more power/longer than the power supply was designed for.

i am not positive, as all the numbers on the back kinda went over my head, but i believe the pcu is designed for 500 watts and the amp is small, 200rms i believe

That wire gauge is def. a problem i would think.

yes i am most worried about the wiring. at least the amp is small and the wiring is less than 1ft long(if that helps any). i will be looking out closely for any sort of overheating

finch13

Reaction score
For the record, autos are 12V DC current and homes are 120V AC current.

What I would do is solder larger possibly 10awg or 8awg wire to the power terminals on the power supply. Right now I'm assuming you just cut of one of the harnesses that is supposed to connect to an HDD, disc drive, mobo, etc. Remove all of the harness and replace it will one harness of larger gauge wire if you get what I'm saying.

PC power supplies are should be able to handle the power draw, it's 500w rated output should be able to provide 12v power at 500W peak... posting up the info on the sticker would help even more.

Back