Another clunking noise thread....

twofast4u

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. So just this morning, my front passenger side started to make a clunking nose everytime i hit a bump. I first thought, it was either the ball joints or tie rod ends. I checked both just now and they both seem tight, and nothing seems to be loose underneath. I do have dampening adjustable coilovers, so i just tried to see what it would be like if i made the ride softer by 3 notches. Well now with a softer ride, the clunks dont happen as often, but they still do happen over harsher bumps. So is it safe to say that my shocks are fine if the dampening and ride quality is still alright?

I'm thinking the ball joints might not have grease in them, which may cause the clunking. Let me know your thoughts! And thanks in advance for your help!

twofast4u

Reaction score
Never mind. I think I figured it out. I think its my sway bar end links. Picking up new ones today.

twofast4u

Reaction score
Moogs, Adam?

Did you get them locally or are they getting shipped?

Naw. I'm picking up some generic aftermarket ones for $20 for both locally. I figure its a cheap investment incase the noise isn't coming from the end links.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Ah, ok.

If it had happened over the weekend and I saw this thread, I could have ordered you a set, since I had to order some parts for the wife's car, and the price would have been about the same.

You just wouldn't have had them as quickly.

twofast4u

Reaction score
oh! no way! where do you order your parts from?

I'm hoping this actually fixes the problem.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Adam if you're coming out on thursday we can try driving the car up on ramps and test the sway bar end-links for movement/play while they are loaded. I have some of those rhino ramps and some 2x4s so it shouldnt be a problem getting it on. Or jack up the car and test the endlinks with the car in the air. If they make a clunk when you try to move them left/right or front/back then they are shot. In addition also check your sway bar bushings as it can allow your swaybar to move inside the bracket and make a clunking noise if they are worn out. Its easier to check the bushings for play with the car loaded though versus it being in the air.

PS. Does the clunk noise happen if you simply push down on the pass. side?

Thormx331

Reaction score
Ive been having the same problem with the front drivers side. I just recently replaced the endlinks and checked all of the bushings and the problem is still there. Everything else also looks fine. Im thinking it could be a blown shock because it makes the noise by pushing down on front of the car? Please let me know if you figure it out

001Stunna

Reaction score
Ive been having the same problem with the front drivers side. I just recently replaced the endlinks and checked all of the bushings and the problem is still there. Everything else also looks fine. Im thinking it could be a blown shock because it makes the noise by pushing down on front of the car? Please let me know if you figure it out

If the noise exists even when you push down on the car by hand, and you checked the upper/lower ball joints and control arms then chances are its something to do with the shock.

Back