autozone scanner codes?....buying a car

blankkoop

Reaction score
for the past couple weeks ive been looking for a 89-02 accord 4cyl 5spd to buy.... just looked at 1 and it has 5 codes(autozone scanner)...im pretty comfortable around hondas but these codes are a bit unual(for me anyway)...help please...

car info... 98 4dr 5spd 161k mi (looks like its been through alot, but for 2600 guess i dont really have room to com.....)

codes
1.p0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold
2.& 3. p0401 egr flow insufficent
4.& 5. p1456 manufacturer control auxiliary emission controls

any direction or help with your personal experience is appreciated

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
#1 I can't remember, but I know it has been discussed a few times here, give it a search and you'll find what you need.

#2 & 3 means your EGR valve has a buildup and needs cleaned out. You can do this on your own, there's a DIY for it.

Not sure about #4 & 5

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
#1 I can't remember, but I know it has been discussed a few times here, give it a search and you'll find what you need.

#2 & 3 means your EGR valve has a buildup and needs cleaned out. You can do this on your own, there's a DIY for it.

Not sure about #4 & 5

#1 means you need a new Cat.

you can either replace the cat, or use the defouler method to fool the oxygen sensor.

blankkoop

Reaction score
my girl purchased a 98 coupe a month ago and her cat is bad but its throwing a different code for the cat.... so these are also for a clogged/bad cat?

finch13

Reaction score
P1456/7 are fuel vent canister codes, meaning there is a leak and the system can't properly pressurize. Usually a gas cap or sticking vent shut valve.

Either way, none of those codes are major concerns and won't affect how long the car will last.

blankkoop

Reaction score
P1456/7 are fuel vent canister codes, meaning there is a leak and the system can't properly pressurize. Usually a gas cap or sticking vent shut valve.

Either way, none of those codes are major concerns and won't affect how long the car will last.

doesnt check engine light cause car to dump more fuel or is it specific on the code?

finch13

Reaction score
doesnt check engine light cause car to dump more fuel or is it specific on the code?

It's specific to the triggered code. A P0420 or P1456 will not cause anything bad to happen except for the light is on. A P1259 VTEC Malfunction code on the other hand will cause the car to have a rev limit of 4,000 rpm and no VTEC engagment.

Back