bad catalytic converter

mrphil

Reaction score
hello all. my CEL is on... and i got two codes p0108 and p0420. My catalytic converter has been rattling like something is loose inside.

what are my options? honda wants $900 for a new cat not installed. does anyone have experience with autozone, pepboys, or any of the universal catalytic converters? thanks guys.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor circuit high input
P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold

xi0utlawstarix

Reaction score
i think theres a 7 or 8 year/80k warranty on emission stuff...might want to give your local dealer a call

i got the p0420 cel...did the spark plug defouler trick :thumbsup:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
got mine free at the dealer :D

the rattle might be heat shield. chances are the metal where the bolts go has rusted and the shield is flapping around. just jack up the car and take it/them off...its not hard :)

Bobster

Reaction score
Ive heard that aftermarket converters arent efficient enough to stop the CEL from recoding.

mrphil

Reaction score
wow... i'm truly amazed at the quick and helpful responses. thanks guys.

i have a 2001 accord 4cyl sedan 5spd ex. i'm pretty sure it's not the heat shield because when it was jacked up... i shook it and knocked on it with a wrench. i have 106,xxx miles on it so the warranty is way over now.

sad thing is that i just dropped a chunk of change for the timing belt, water pump, and a new clutch. *sigh* this car is a money pit! even my old 91mr2t didnt have this many "problems"! lolz.

shavedaccord: do you have any experience with those cats? thanks!

Back