Battery issues

james'99

Reaction score
on amperage test all power must go through it. use it to go between the + cable and the + terminal.

you must be weary of the DMM fuse! usually it is a 10A slow blow, so nothing more than 10A can be used!

I added a 10A fast blow to my lead, for safety lol.

like this:
134-fuse-holder_10896468.jpg

but it is at work so I can't get a pic of it.

Yes. You'll need to be careful here on the fuse, but theoretically, you shouldn't have 10A of power draw if that is the high scale on your multimeter.

JJR512

Reaction score
Sorry, it's still not clear to me what exactly I'm hooking the multimeter up to. One lead (red or black?) goes to the positive terminal of the battery, but the other end goes to what, exactly?

james'99

Reaction score
Sorry, it's still not clear to me what exactly I'm hooking the multimeter up to. One lead (red or black?) goes to the positive terminal of the battery, but the other end goes to what, exactly?

Okay. So you will put one leed on the positive terminal and you can put one on the wire coming out of the positive terminal. Either that, or you can put the second leed on the screw where the battery cable screws on to the fuse box.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
it doesn't usually matter, one way gives you a negative reading. If it doesn't work, flip em.

kn0x47

Reaction score
Never test amperage if you don't understand what you're doing. just take the car to advance or autozone and they can do a drain test for free and it only takes a few mins.

12.27 volts is fine for a used battery especially one that was allowed to be completely drained. Your alternator is working just fine.

Sometimes batteries can not be recharged but that's only if they have a bad cell and you won't get a stronger reading than 10v.

Sense the battery drained down to 2% your biggest concern will be whether or not it will hold a charge. So first, get the drain test done at the parts store then if that passed then let the car sit for a day or two before starting it again. If it doesn't start after that then the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore.

Also, when they test your battery at the store compare the amount of amps the batter is putting out compared to what it's rated at. If it seems low then you'll want to buy a new battery before winter

JJR512

Reaction score
Thank you. I learn by doing, so I'll do it myself, now that I know where exactly to check. That is why I'm here. Otherwise I'd just take it to a proper shop and tell them to fix whatever needs fixing.

Back