blackhousing headlights

uhkord98

Reaction score
i have a set of DIY blackhousing headlights, and over the last couple months, after it rains, they fog up, so now i have decided to take them apart and redo them. my question is, when i paint them is it best to use the high temp spray paint, or could i have a professional painter paint them? and would using clear coat be a good idea? any help would be appreciated.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
clearcoat i'd avoid. it would just cause a lot of glare

i used 500 degree semi-gloss paint, but you don't need to use that. regular body paint sits out in the sun and gets up to like 200degrees so i'm sure it'd be fine

uhkord98

Reaction score
ok thats what i was thinkin on the clear, that it would be too shiny and it would cause problems. taking the headlights apart was ALOT easier than i thought.

ryon527

Reaction score
i never thought about the glare. i got headlights ripped apart in my closet right now I have to finish. I actually have 3 sets of headlights haha.

uhkord98

Reaction score
the look im going for on my headlights, is like the mustangs with blackhousing headlights, they have a nice shine to them, but i see no glare. so well see i guess.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
use Engine Enamel made by Duplicolor (i think?) thats what i used, it was the glossy black one, its perfect, youll have to do a couple coats, and thin ones too, so that you dont get runs or anything. the stuffs made to put on your engine, so you know itll withstand the heat. and if your lights are just fogging up, you can take them out, and put a thin layer of silicon sround the entire edge, if you would want, thats what i would do, but mine are still completely stock silicon, and no leaks :-D. if you wanted to do a little clearcoat......im sure you might be able to hold the can far enough away so that the very end of the spray hits the light and gives a small clear coat look i guess? idk, i just used that glossy blac engine enamel.

Back