Blower Resistors

TeeJ

Reaction score
I have an issue with the blower resistor on my car, I had one fail, allowing just the 3rd and 4th fan speeds to work. Eventually the 3rd fan speed failed as well and I replaced the part with an new OEM one. It worked for all of 5 minutes, then I heard a pop and the fan only worked on full or off. When I took out the new part, it was VERY hot, I noticed that there is an arm that is held to another metal point on the resistor completing a circuit (soldered together) had melted and disconnected. I don't want to replace it with another one, they are almost 150 dollars. Can I safely re-solder the connection together to make this new resistor work again? Also I have been searching around and I don't think that the blower resistor is supposed to get that hot, is there something else I should check for that may be causing the resistor to get too hot?

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Checking the wiring (grounds, etc) may be a place to start. Maybe use a multimeter to make sure the right amount of current is flowing through the circuit.

james'99

Reaction score
Checking the wiring (grounds, etc) may be a place to start. Maybe use a multimeter to make sure the right amount of current is flowing through the circuit.

+1. Plus, is this the actual switch we are looking at? You might try talking to hotaccord243 if he hasn't sold his. Not sure what year you are but his dial may be different from the '01-'02

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Typical blower resistors:

Have 2 resistors,
Speed 1 uses both
speed 2 uses the big resistor
speed 3 uses the small resistor
Speed 4 uses no resistor

I'd check out the motor.

Back