Brake lamp light and SRS light on ???

intel0116

Reaction score
( Just a FYI, my car is stock, no after market lamps, bulbs etc. no after market steering wheel, im all stock. last year I took my car in to Honda for the airbag recall )

ok so I have 2 issues.

first one is my brake lamp light came on after I ran over a 2x4 on the freeway. after inspecting the car I could see nothing wrong except my rear driver side brake light is out. well I did the obvious and replaced the bulb. its still out. any ideas what it could be ? any ideas why it would of turned on after running over a 2x4 ?

second one is my SRS light is on. ( note, it was on 2 weeks before my brake lamp light ) . so last year I took my car for the airbag recall and because my srs light was on back then, I got the car back and everything was fixed including the SRS light. about 3 months ago my SRS light randomly came on one morning, so I did the paperclip reset, and it went away until 2 weeks ago when it turned back on so I naturally tried to reset it again like before. well it wont reset. the light flashes then turns off for a few seconds, then turns back on. any ideas ?

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
The Brake light is what you did correctly and replaced the bulb, had the same thing happened, but I didn't run into a 2x4. Have you tried disconnecting the battery and re connecting to see if it goes away? Also have you checked your brake fluid, my brake light would pop up here and there and stay on for about 5 minutes, then turns off while driving a bit. Could also be a brake line got damaged. There's alot of possibilities, but i'd go with the easiest ones first before you start dumping money into things that could have been a simple fix.

SRS light will always return after a reset, only way to fix it is to take it to the dealer. Most likely a connection to the seat/airbags.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
first one is my brake lamp light came on after I ran over a 2x4 on the freeway. after inspecting the car I could see nothing wrong except my rear driver side brake light is out. well I did the obvious and replaced the bulb. its still out. any ideas what it could be ? any ideas why it would of turned on after running over a 2x4 ?

Use the stick to wedge the brake pedal down (put against the seat, slide the seat forward to hold it). Check the socket, wiggle the bulb, that kinda stuff. If wiggling works, look for corrosion, if not, check the connector. If that doesn't work, get a test light and a wiring diagram.

second one is my SRS light is on. ( note, it was on 2 weeks before my brake lamp light ) . so last year I took my car for the airbag recall and because my srs light was on back then, I got the car back and everything was fixed including the SRS light. about 3 months ago my SRS light randomly came on one morning, so I did the paperclip reset, and it went away until 2 weeks ago when it turned back on so I naturally tried to reset it again like before. well it wont reset. the light flashes then turns off for a few seconds, then turns back on. any ideas ?

Check the fuse. Try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. if those don't work, take it back to the dealer, I don't think there is a way to pull the codes without the scanner.

J-SPEC

Reaction score
Does your seat belt indicator light on your dash function properly? If not then it's more than likely your driver seat belt switch, especially if anything has been spilled around that area recently. If the indicator does work properly, just take it to the dealer.

As for the brake light, check all of your connections. Grounds, connectors, power, etc. Could have caused a nearly-intermittent connection to come completely loose.

intel0116

Reaction score
well i figured out why the brake lamp light was on. i had a hunch that the socket where the bulb sits in might have been damaged, so i replaced it and now the brake lamp indicator light is off and my brake light is working.

SRS light issue is still at large.....
i may end up just biting the bullet and going to the dealership. depends on how much longer i can stand to be annoyed by the light.

Back