brake light comes on after checking fluid level?

aftermath431

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Honda Acoord coupe v6 I went to check the brake fluid level by removing the cap. I looked at the fluid level saw it was good and put it right back on. Now when I start my car the light comes on that says brake in red. after driving awhile it goes off. Also my brakes seem softer. All this after just opening the brack fluid cap. Anyone know what might be the problem?

Matt1264

Reaction score
I would double check your fluid one more time and if its even on the slightly lower side add some brake fluid. When you removed the cap you probably released a little pressure that was telling ur car that it was ok. It goes away while driving because you keep pressing your brakes creating more pressure. you would get the same effect if you pumped your brakes

KombatVirus

Reaction score
It seems like you somehow got air into the brake system, that would definitely make it soft or for example "sink" when stopped at a red light. Maybe you need a fluid flush, however theres no way this could be caused by just removing the cap for the reservoir, unless you just purchased this car, have not changed fluid for a while, or have recently changed pads/rotors

aftermath431

Reaction score
Ok I will check the level again. hate to do it thought because I opened the brake fluid cap again and shaked the float inside a few times but it back on and now there is no more brake light coming on. but I think you guys are right that the level is a little low so I'm going to check again and fill it if it is low. thanks for the help.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
I bet the float was stuck in the 'low fluid' position when you put the cap on..
Does your cap have wires running into it? I'm Not familiar with the 6cyl, but assume it'd prolly be like mine... with no wires.. so nvm :)

Back